* Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-10 21:57 DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2017-05-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

I propose adding a file called "MAINTAINERS" to the git source tree,
which only says:

	See https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS

Rationale: other GNU projects have a top-level MAINTAINERS file, if
someone is used to looking for that, at least they'll find something.

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11  2:18 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-05-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, libc-alpha, Joseph S. Myers

On 05/10/2017 05:57 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> I propose adding a file called "MAINTAINERS" to the git source tree,
> which only says:
>
> 	See https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS
>
> Rationale: other GNU projects have a top-level MAINTAINERS file, if
> someone is used to looking for that, at least they'll find something.

Sounds good to me.

I'd like to see one or two more senior people ACK this though before
we add such a file.

Joseph, Any opinion?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11  4:05   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2017-05-11  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, DJ Delorie, libc-alpha, Joseph S. Myers

On Thursday 11 May 2017 07:48 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Sounds good to me.
>
> I'd like to see one or two more senior people ACK this though before
> we add such a file.

+1, I don't see any downsides to that.

Siddhesh

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 11:37     ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2017-05-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

On 11/05/2017 01:05, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2017 07:48 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> I'd like to see one or two more senior people ACK this though before
>> we add such a file.
>
> +1, I don't see any downsides to that.
>
> Siddhesh

+1, but I think it is worth to update the information.  Some project
stewards are not actively engaged for some time now.

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 14:13   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2017-05-11 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: DJ Delorie, libc-alpha

On Wed, 10 May 2017, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On 05/10/2017 05:57 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > I propose adding a file called "MAINTAINERS" to the git source tree,
> > which only says:
> >
> > 	See https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS
> >
> > Rationale: other GNU projects have a top-level MAINTAINERS file, if
> > someone is used to looking for that, at least they'll find something.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> I'd like to see one or two more senior people ACK this though before
> we add such a file.
>
> Joseph, Any opinion?

It's fine with me, but in the various GNU project checkouts I have to
hand, only binutils-gdb and GCC have such files.  (Though most projects
don't have large teams of either GNU-appointed maintainers or active
developers.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 16:37       ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-05-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adhemerval Zanella, libc-alpha

On 05/11/2017 07:37 AM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

> On 11/05/2017 01:05, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> On Thursday 11 May 2017 07:48 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> Sounds good to me.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see one or two more senior people ACK this though before
>>> we add such a file.
>>
>> +1, I don't see any downsides to that.
>>
>> Siddhesh
>>

> +1, but I think it is worth to update the information.  Some project
> stewards are not actively engaged for some time now.

That is a touchy subject.

The steward may wish to do more work but can't.

When do you ask them to withdraw their name from the list of stewards?

One hopes this is done voluntarily when the steward acknowledges they
aren't working on the project.

I also think that keeping the list clear makes it easy to see if we need
_new_ stewards to step up for the project.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 16:52         ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2017-05-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, Adhemerval Zanella, libc-alpha

On Thursday 11 May 2017 10:07 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> That is a touchy subject.
>
> The steward may wish to do more work but can't.
>
> When do you ask them to withdraw their name from the list of stewards?
>
> One hopes this is done voluntarily when the steward acknowledges they
> aren't working on the project.
>
> I also think that keeping the list clear makes it easy to see if we need
> _new_ stewards to step up for the project.

I like the Linux kernel way of working in this case, where the
MAINTAINERS list is essentially of historical value and more stress is
laid on who changed the code most in that specific module.  Something
like the checkpatch script would work nicely there.

Siddhesh

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 17:35 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-05-11 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, libc-alpha

On 05/10/2017 05:57 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> I propose adding a file called "MAINTAINERS" to the git source tree,
> which only says:
>
> 	See https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS
>
> Rationale: other GNU projects have a top-level MAINTAINERS file, if
> someone is used to looking for that, at least they'll find something.

I think you have enough consensus to checkin a MAINTAINERS file with
a pointer to the wiki :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Proposal: add MAINTAINERS to git
@ 2017-05-11 17:39   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2017-05-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> writes:
> I think you have enough consensus to checkin a MAINTAINERS file with
> a pointer to the wiki :-)

Done!