On 05/11/2021 13:01, Adhemerval Zanella wrote: > > > On 05/11/2021 08:51, Jonny Grant wrote: >>> >> >> Hi Adhemerval >> >> Thank you for your reply. Personally I understood an ABI break would be the return type, the name, or the parameters. But the proposed change is not so. Changing to return a string, should be fine. > > It is still an ABI break, code that checks NULL for invalid input will > stop to work. > >> >> ie, in relation to strerror() C99 and POSIX.1-2008 require the return value to be non-NULL. (my view is it is always better not to return a NULL from such string functions that could then cause a SEGV. >> >> strerror(1000) returns a string "Unknown error 1000" >> >> Better to simply align with glibc strerror() approach? >> >> Feels like there is still time to change it, as it is _np. Aligning with strerror(), or just "" as you had mentioned seems reasonable. > > I give you that it is indeed a better return code, and it is not a matter > of timing, but rather I don't think it really worth the ABI break and > the required code complexity to do so. > > It would require: > > 1. Change the strerrorname_np to return "" on invalid code. Please find attached the patch. > 2. Keep the compat symbol that returns NULL and add a compat symbol. > 3. Exports a new symbol with version on 2.35 with the new semantic > and update the ailist. May I check, why would a new symbol be needed? I'd expect it is only a change to strerrorname_np and any test code you have that presently checks for NULL return. > 4. Update the documentation and sync with man-pages. The man-page update is minor, I could handle that. >> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strerror.3.html >> >> It's common for some returns to change, eg glibc 2.13 changed strerror_r() behaviour to return the actual error code, as opposed to returning -1 and setting errno. > > And such change did got without burden and extra complexity. Just check > the multiple preprocessor checks it requires to get the right definition > depending of the system support on the misc/error.c (imported from gnulib). > Ok, I think the change I propose does not affect the definition, as the function signature is the same. Maybe I misunderstand something. Cheers, Jonny