* Re: Contribution Checklist - ChangeLog
       [not found]         ` <877dttbvim.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de>
@ 2020-08-20  8:42           ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-08-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: Carlos O'Donell, Max Gautier, GLIBC Devel

[Moving discussion to libc-alpha since it's the more appropriate forum]

On 20/08/20 13:26, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Sorry I think I missed updating the contribution checklist.  I am
>> inclined towards removing all mention of the ChangeLog in the
>> checklist and add a last point about needing ChangeLog entries for
>> patches to stable branches older than 2.31.  Does that sound
>> reasonable?
>
> I don't think it makes sense to treat older stable branches
> differently.  Either all of them need ChangeLogs, or none of them do.

My personal bias is towards not having to write ChangeLog entries at
all.  We could make it happen by backporting the ChangeLog script to
older stable branches and then drop the ChangeLog requirement altogether.

As an aside, I'm thinking of separating out the stable branch (and all
of the old addons, ports, etc.) related stuff out into a separate page
so that this checklist remains short and simple.  Stable branches have
historically only been touched by distribution maintainers and I doubt
if that will change in the near future given that we don't cut releases
off stable branches.  I'll do this too tonight if nobody objects.

Siddhesh

* Re: Contribution Checklist - ChangeLog
@ 2020-08-20 17:58             ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-08-20 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: Carlos O'Donell, Max Gautier, GLIBC Devel

On 20/08/20 14:12, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> My personal bias is towards not having to write ChangeLog entries at
> all.  We could make it happen by backporting the ChangeLog script to
> older stable branches and then drop the ChangeLog requirement altogether.
>
> As an aside, I'm thinking of separating out the stable branch (and all
> of the old addons, ports, etc.) related stuff out into a separate page
> so that this checklist remains short and simple.  Stable branches have
> historically only been touched by distribution maintainers and I doubt
> if that will change in the near future given that we don't cut releases
> off stable branches.  I'll do this too tonight if nobody objects.

Aha, so this is where I updated the Checklist and then forgot to merge
the changes in:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist%20v2

I'll hack on this to get y'all to review and this time around, remember
to merge the changes back :)

Siddhesh

* Re: Contribution Checklist - ChangeLog
@ 2020-08-20 18:03               ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2020-08-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, Florian Weimer; +Cc: Max Gautier, GLIBC Devel

On 8/20/20 1:58 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 20/08/20 14:12, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> My personal bias is towards not having to write ChangeLog entries at
>> all.  We could make it happen by backporting the ChangeLog script to
>> older stable branches and then drop the ChangeLog requirement altogether.
>>
>> As an aside, I'm thinking of separating out the stable branch (and all
>> of the old addons, ports, etc.) related stuff out into a separate page
>> so that this checklist remains short and simple.  Stable branches have
>> historically only been touched by distribution maintainers and I doubt
>> if that will change in the near future given that we don't cut releases
>> off stable branches.  I'll do this too tonight if nobody objects.
>
> Aha, so this is where I updated the Checklist and then forgot to merge
> the changes in:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist%20v2
>
> I'll hack on this to get y'all to review and this time around, remember
> to merge the changes back :)

I would *love* v2 of the checklist to become *live* ... are you going to:

(a) Edit v1 with the ChangeLog changes.

or

(b) Edit v2 and propose we use that.

My opinion is that backports to stable branches should *not* update the
ChangeLog.

The ChangeLog is only valid at the time a tarball is created.

If a stable branch has a release then the VCS update scripts will be used
to update the ChangeLog.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Contribution Checklist - ChangeLog
@ 2020-08-20 18:11                 ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-08-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, Florian Weimer; +Cc: Max Gautier, GLIBC Devel

On 20/08/20 23:33, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> I would *love* v2 of the checklist to become *live* ... are you going to:
>
> (a) Edit v1 with the ChangeLog changes.
>
> or
>
> (b) Edit v2 and propose we use that.

I just went through v2 now; looks like you wrote it early last year (and
you made it exactly how I think it ought to be!) and I updated it for
ChangeLog and left it at that.  I propose we overwrite v1 with this.

I've just edited it to completely drop any mention of a ChangeLog; if
you think this looks good I'll overwrite the old checklist with it:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist%20v2

> My opinion is that backports to stable branches should *not* update the
> ChangeLog.
>
> The ChangeLog is only valid at the time a tarball is created.
>
> If a stable branch has a release then the VCS update scripts will be used
> to update the ChangeLog.

That's a reasonable constraint.  In that case it probably makes sense to
drop mention of ChangeLog in legacy contributions too:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Legacy%20Contributions

Siddhesh

* Re: Contribution Checklist - ChangeLog
@ 2020-08-22 17:05                   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2020-08-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, Florian Weimer; +Cc: GLIBC Devel, Max Gautier

On 20/08/20 23:41, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> I just went through v2 now; looks like you wrote it early last year (and
> you made it exactly how I think it ought to be!) and I updated it for
> ChangeLog and left it at that.  I propose we overwrite v1 with this.
>
> I've just edited it to completely drop any mention of a ChangeLog; if
> you think this looks good I'll overwrite the old checklist with it:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist%20v2

I have now replaced the old checklist content with the v2 one: