On 4/27/24 12:56 PM, Carl Edquist wrote: > > On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Chet Ramey wrote: > >> You might be surprised. The OP was sending thousands of calculations to >> (I think) GNU bc, which had some resource consumption issue that resulted >> in it eventually hanging, unresponsive. The kill was the solution there. >> I imagine there are similar scenarios with other tools. > > Ok, you got me!  I take it back. > > I hadn't considered bc operations being cpu/memory intensive.  But that > possibility makes sense - given that it's arbitrary precision I guess you > can ask for a number to the billionth power and never see the end of it  :) I'm not sure it was that so much as the long-running nature of the coproc. A resource leak might never be noticeable except in this (admittedly uncommon) scenario. -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet@case.edu http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/