* question regarding two security features
@ 2021-07-08  1:58 Tom Henderson
From: Tom Henderson @ 2021-07-08  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Hello, I'm writing with a question concerning whether two glibc security
features could be optionally disabled for a specific use case.  The ns-3
network simulator has a framework called Direct Code Execution [1, 2]
that has been around for about ten years.  DCE allows us to load and
simulate multiple instances of C or C++ executables and libraries that
have been compiled as position independent code.  We link these with the
system glibc.  Starting after glibc-2.25 or so, some vtable verification
checks were introduced, and later, some restrictions on opening PIE
objects were added, which blocked our usage of the system glibc for
subsequent Linux releases (newer than Ubuntu 16.04).  We have been
holding back on upgrades since then because of this issue.

Going forward, we can work around this by building a custom glibc (see
sample patch at [3]) and using that within the DCE framework, but this
approach is more heavyweight for users, so we are wondering if glibc
would entertain the possibility of defining a link option to disable
these features?

- Tom

[1] https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00880870/document
[2] https://github.com/direct-code-execution