* [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-09 18:28 Siddhesh Poyarekar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Hi,

There are quite a few patches that get pushed to git with minor
modifications; it's a convenient workflow hack since it allows
committers to push trivial changes when they don't really need
additional review.

That however breaks patchwork patch detection since the checksums
against the diffs don't match.  There are bugs in patchwork (or to see
it another way, bugs in email clients) that prevent this too, but
trivial changes are a pretty big percentage.

I have a wrapper script that, whenever it updates my repo, checks for
the patchwork patch for each commit and updates its state.  I currently
do it on need basis, but I could make it a cron job.  How annoying would
it be for folks here if the script, upon not finding a suitable patch,
email it to the list as [committed]?

As a bargain chip, one would no longer have to send an email whenever
they push trivial changes to the repo; my sync would do it for them.

This is not just to make the patchwork backlog cleaner, but also to make
sure that the community is aware of the final version of the patch that
went in; they're easier to correlate in the same list since they'd
typically have the same subject line.

This should eventually become a post-receive hook in the upstream repo,
but I want to see if this workflow actually works for us before
proposing this deeper change.

Thoughts?

Siddhesh

* Re: [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-11  4:33 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2021-03-11  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar; +Cc: libc-alpha

How much of the problem space would be solved if we only emailed commit
"patches" directly to the patchwork system?  And how difficult would it
be to get patchwork to properly match independent commit mails to
existing patch series?

* Re: [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-11  6:36   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-11  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: libc-alpha

On 3/11/21 10:03 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> How much of the problem space would be solved if we only emailed commit
> "patches" directly to the patchwork system?  And how difficult would it
> be to get patchwork to properly match independent commit mails to
> existing patch series?

Currently the matching logic depends on a checksum based on the diff
part of the patch with the diff part of the commit.  There are some
limitations in patchwork email parsing because of which on occasion it
doesn't read the diff correctly, but it largely works.  In general,
patches sent using git-send-email are parsed correctly and should result
in correct matching.

There are two problems I'm trying to solve, one is of 1:1 correspondence
between patchwork state and repo state and that will be solved by
feeding commit patches directly to patchwork.

The other problem is visibility of commits that don't match mailing list
content.  We allow, as part of policy, trivial changes to patches before
they're committed but ideally one should always post the final version
before commit.  We enforce this ideal case for patches that only contain
trivial changes.  Having commits that don't match any existing patches
in patchwork be posted on the mailing list for visibility plugs this
gap, giving us confidence that every commit that went into the repo was
at at least one point advertised on the list.

@ 2021-03-11 16:37     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2021-03-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar; +Cc: libc-alpha

Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org> writes:
> There are two problems I'm trying to solve, one is of 1:1 correspondence
> between patchwork state and repo state and that will be solved by
> feeding commit patches directly to patchwork.

On this one, I wonder how well patchwork can guess which patch series
corresponds to a commit that doesn't exactly match any of them.

* Re: [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-15  2:52       ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-15  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: libc-alpha

On 3/11/21 10:07 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org> writes:
>> There are two problems I'm trying to solve, one is of 1:1 correspondence
>> between patchwork state and repo state and that will be solved by
>> feeding commit patches directly to patchwork.
>
> On this one, I wonder how well patchwork can guess which patch series
> corresponds to a commit that doesn't exactly match any of them.

It doesn't at the moment, but that's an orthogonal issue and can only be
solved with a move to something like gitlab.

@ 2021-03-15 14:59 ` Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2021-03-15 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar; +Cc: libc-alpha

       Dear Siddhesh,

do you have an idea by how much the traffic on the list would increase?
If only by a few percents, that would be fine with me.

Best regards,
Paul

* Re: [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-15 15:02   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-15 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Zimmermann; +Cc: libc-alpha

On 3/15/21 8:29 PM, Paul Zimmermann wrote:
>         Dear Siddhesh,
>
> do you have an idea by how much the traffic on the list would increase?
> If only by a few percents, that would be fine with me.

Shouldn't be a lot, about 70% of the patches get committed as is, so
it's only about 30% that bleed through.  It should be way under 10
emails a week given the frequency of our commits.

@ 2021-03-16  2:24 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-03-16  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, libc-alpha

On 3/9/21 1:28 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> There are quite a few patches that get pushed to git with minor
> modifications; it's a convenient workflow hack since it allows
> committers to push trivial changes when they don't really need
> additional review.

Agreed.

We often say "OK with this change..." and it would be lame to force
those people to repost vN just to go ahead and commit it right after
as accepted and then have to find it in patchwork and mark it committed.

> That however breaks patchwork patch detection since the checksums
> against the diffs don't match.  There are bugs in patchwork (or to
> see it another way, bugs in email clients) that prevent this too, but
> trivial changes are a pretty big percentage.

It technically doesn't break patchwork patch detection.

*Technically* it is a distinct new version of the patch.

The old version, even in your new method, still needs to be marked as
SUPERSEDED or DROPPED?

So we'll never clean the old versions out unless people maintain the
queues clean, or we notice it in the weekly review and remove it.

> I have a wrapper script that, whenever it updates my repo, checks for
> the patchwork patch for each commit and updates its state.  I
> currently do it on need basis, but I could make it a cron job.  How
> annoying would it be for folks here if the script, upon not finding a
> suitable patch, email it to the list as [committed]?

Not annoying at all for me.

> As a bargain chip, one would no longer have to send an email whenever
> they push trivial changes to the repo; my sync would do it for them.

Exactly. Less work is better.

> This is not just to make the patchwork backlog cleaner, but also to
> make sure that the community is aware of the final version of the
> patch that went in; they're easier to correlate in the same list
> since they'd typically have the same subject line.

How will it make the patchwork backlog cleaner?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: [RFC] Auto-posting committed patches to this list?
@ 2021-03-16  3:52   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-03-16  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 3/16/21 7:54 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> This is not just to make the patchwork backlog cleaner, but also to
>> make sure that the community is aware of the final version of the
>> patch that went in; they're easier to correlate in the same list
>> since they'd typically have the same subject line.
>
> How will it make the patchwork backlog cleaner?

This action in itself won't, but it will enable other actions later on.
  Once we have 1:1 correspondence between patchwork and the repo, we
could then have more aggressive actions that mark patches with similar
subject lines (especially ones that are in Changes Requested or some
other non-terminal state) from the author as Superseded, automating at
least some of the developer workflow.

I'll set up a cron job to send out these patches first and we can then
build on it.

@ 2021-03-16  3:55     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-03-16  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, libc-alpha

On 3/15/21 11:52 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 3/16/21 7:54 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> This is not just to make the patchwork backlog cleaner, but also
>>> to make sure that the community is aware of the final version of
>>> the patch that went in; they're easier to correlate in the same
>>> list since they'd typically have the same subject line.
>>
>> How will it make the patchwork backlog cleaner?
>
> This action in itself won't, but it will enable other actions later
> on.  Once we have 1:1 correspondence between patchwork and the repo,
> we could then have more aggressive actions that mark patches with
> similar subject lines (especially ones that are in Changes Requested
> or some other non-terminal state) from the author as Superseded,
> automating at least some of the developer workflow.

Perfect. Completely understood.

> I'll set up a cron job to send out these patches first and we can
> then build on it.

Thanks!

--
Cheers,