public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* no more ADP,ATS,BEF,DEM,ESP,FIM,FRF,GRD,IEP,ITL,LUF,NLG,PTE
@ 2002-02-28  1:37 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-02-28  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

In commemoration of this day I've eliminated all traces of the now
defunct currencies in Europe.  For those who don't follow the issues
at the other side of the pond, today the last countries must
completely switch to EUR.  Local currencies are not anymore accepted.
At least this is the theory, I have no first hand experience.

Note that the changes made to the 2.3 files is different from those
for the 2.2 files.  The latter cannot take advantage of the internal
transliteration mechanisms of localedef and therefore the
currency_name is explicitly set to EUR which requires different files
for the @euro version.

The @euro files cannot be eliminated anytime soon due to charset
issues.  The non-@euro files don't use ISO-8859-15 or -16 and
therefore don't have the Euro sign.  What is now in the CVS archive
will remain with us for a long time.

* Re: no more ADP,ATS,BEF,DEM,ESP,FIM,FRF,GRD,IEP,ITL,LUF,NLG,PTE
@ 2002-02-28  7:50 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2002-02-28  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 03:37  AM, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> In commemoration of this day I've eliminated all traces of the now
> defunct currencies in Europe.

The problem with this is that now users cannot process work
from previous years, where they need to work with the older
currencies.

---
Mark S. Brown
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM Server Group
512.838.3926 fax 512.838.3882
bmark@us.ibm.com

* Re: no more ADP,ATS,BEF,DEM,ESP,FIM,FRF,GRD,IEP,ITL,LUF,NLG,PTE
@ 2002-02-28 10:01   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-02-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Mark Brown <bmark@us.ibm.com> writes:

> The problem with this is that now users cannot process work
> from previous years, where they need to work with the older
> currencies.

No reliable implementation would use the locale information.  At least
not before the new locale API is introduced which allows using locales
in a way it makes sense.

* Re: no more ADP,ATS,BEF,DEM,ESP,FIM,FRF,GRD,IEP,ITL,LUF,NLG,PTE
@ 2002-02-28 10:52     ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2002-02-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: Mark Brown, GNU libc hacker

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:01:00AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Mark Brown <bmark@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > The problem with this is that now users cannot process work
> > from previous years, where they need to work with the older
> > currencies.
>
> No reliable implementation would use the locale information.  At least
> not before the new locale API is introduced which allows using locales
> in a way it makes sense.

Well, it might use the currency as default value, but certainly should store
the currency info into the document.

	Jakub

* Re: no more ADP,ATS,BEF,DEM,ESP,FIM,FRF,GRD,IEP,ITL,LUF,NLG,PTE
@ 2002-03-05  7:03       ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2002-03-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Ulrich Drepper, GNU libc hacker

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 12:52  PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:01:00AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>> Mark Brown <bmark@us.ibm.com> writes:
>>
>>> The problem with this is that now users cannot process work
>>> from previous years, where they need to work with the older
>>> currencies.
>>
>> No reliable implementation would use the locale information.  At least
>> not before the new locale API is introduced which allows using locales
>> in a way it makes sense.

 From the Austin Group discussion on this topic:
Andrew Josey, Chair:
> Now with ISO 4217:2001 in hand, this includes three tables,
> table A-1 is the Currency and funds code list, table A-2 is
> for Funds code registered with a maintenance agency, and
> table A-3 lists codes for historic demoninations of currencies,
>
> Table A-1 contains the european countries who have adopted
> the Euro, together with the Euro and their other pre-Euro currency
> and a note pointing to a timetable when the currency will be withdrawn.
> This is not a withdrawal of the currency symbol in the ISO standard.
> I would anticipate that a future revision of 4217 will
> migrate the DEM, FRF etc to Table A-3.
>
> Thus my reading is  that implementations that are disallowing
> currency symbols now obsoleted by the Euro are doing so
> in error, and that implementations that allow  them are
> following 4217 as required, even if they are listed in Table A-3.
>
> We should update the reference to 4217:2001 in TC1.

I *really* think it is a Bad Idea to remove these symbols.

---