public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* [RFC] Vector extentions for vprintf/vscanf
@ 2004-01-19 22:46 Steve Munroe
From: Steve Munroe @ 2004-01-19 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-hacker, Tom Gall, Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: Segher Boessenkoof, Hartmut Penner

A number of platforms support Vector (SIMD) extentions that support with
types and builtins in gcc. This includes i386 MMX, 3Dnow!, SSE, SSE2,
PowerPC 32 (and now PowerPC64) Altivec/VMX.

One useful extention to glibc would be adding vector formating to
printf/scanf. This would add the type modifier prefix v to the type
modifiers hh, h, l. For example to print a vector of 16 signed bytes
"%vhhd", 8 signed shorts "%vhd", 4 signed ints "%vd", or 4 floats
"%vhf". (note the form "%vf" is reserved for a vector of 2 doubles but
most current Vector SIMD implimentations don't support double float).

We would be happy to provide the supporting patches and documentation if
there is interrest.

* Re: [RFC] Vector extentions for vprintf/vscanf
@ 2004-01-20  0:19 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2004-01-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sjmunroe
  Cc: libc-hacker, Tom Gall, Andreas Jaeger, Segher Boessenkoof,
	Hartmut Penner

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:44:08PM -0600, Steve Munroe wrote:
> One useful extention to glibc would be adding vector formating to
> printf/scanf. This would add the type modifier prefix v to the type
> modifiers hh, h, l. For example to print a vector of 16 signed bytes
> "%vhhd", 8 signed shorts "%vhd", 4 signed ints "%vd", or 4 floats
> "%vhf". (note the form "%vf" is reserved for a vector of 2 doubles but
> most current Vector SIMD implimentations don't support double float).

Are you going to hard-code the width of the vector?  That's not
friendly for x86, where there are two sizes.

r~

* Re: [RFC] Vector extentions for vprintf/vscanf
@ 2004-01-20  3:38 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2004-01-20  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sjmunroe; +Cc: libc-hacker

Steve Munroe wrote:
> One useful extention to glibc would be adding vector formating to
> printf/scanf.

Never.  Write your printf handlers, put them in a separate library, and
register them using the interface in <printf.h>.