The usual "hack" to switch between i686 and non-i686 libpthreads on a x86 system is to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and setting it to some old version, e.g. 2.2.5. But if you put such libraries on a 64-bit system with i686 support that has also a 64-bit glibc e.g AMD64 or ia64, the environment variable will have effect on both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries and you cannot execute anymore 64-bit code :-( So, what can we do? We need a better way IMO to switch libraries to not affect all installed glibcs. Any good ideas? Andreas -- Andreas Jaeger SuSE Labs aj@suse.de private aj@arthur.inka.de http://www.suse.de/~aj