public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* __libc_subinit
@ 2002-02-23  0:57 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-02-23  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

I've just removed the handling of __libc_subinit completely from the
Linux setup.  It really was only an expensive way to call a single
function.  This is now done directly instead.

For Hurd the situation is slightly different.  From what I've seen
there are at least two more uses.  They should be changed as well.
One, the stdio initialization, will eventually go away.  This leave
the use in times.c.

I didn't want to touch this code so I moved the libc_subinit handling
in Hurd specific directories.  Hopefully everything builds and runs
just fine.  Now it's up to you to get rid of it.

* Re: __libc_subinit
@ 2002-02-23 17:51 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2002-02-23 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

> I've just removed the handling of __libc_subinit completely from the
> Linux setup.  It really was only an expensive way to call a single
> function.  This is now done directly instead.

It's not that expensive.  And it was a way to call either zero or one
functions for static linking (i.e. if you didn't use __progname, zero).
But I am not going to argue.

How about you just rename __init_misc to __libc_init instead of diddling
every init-first.c file (and you missed some)?

> One, the stdio initialization, will eventually go away.

Indeed it will.

> This leave the use in times.c.

I don't mind changing that one.

* Re: __libc_subinit
@ 2002-02-23 17:57   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-02-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> How about you just rename __init_misc to __libc_init instead of diddling
> every init-first.c file (and you missed some)?

I'd find this rather irritating and it should be a mood point now
anyway since most changes are already done.