public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* New ldconfig
@ 1999-11-23  3:45 Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-11-23  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

I've written a new ldconfig which I'll place under the GPL and like to
get added to glibc.  ldconfig should be compatible with the current
ldconfig, but is missing some (IMHO not needed) options.  It has been
successfully tested on ix86, powerpc and alpha.

The program parses libraries of the same endianness and wordsize as
it's compiled for.  It currently can not handle 32 and 64 bit
libraries simultaneously (if compiled on a 64 bit platform, it parses
only 64bit libraries).  Is this needed anywhere?

I've placed the file ldconfig-19991123.tar.gz on
ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/  The files come with a make file for
building.  You need glibc 2.1 or newer for compilation.

I would appreciate to get your comments.  Is there anything missing
for integration into glibc?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: New ldconfig
@ 1999-11-23  4:07 ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 1999-11-23  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:37:55PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I've written a new ldconfig which I'll place under the GPL and like to
> get added to glibc.  ldconfig should be compatible with the current
> ldconfig, but is missing some (IMHO not needed) options.  It has been
> successfully tested on ix86, powerpc and alpha.
>
> The program parses libraries of the same endianness and wordsize as
> it's compiled for.  It currently can not handle 32 and 64 bit
> libraries simultaneously (if compiled on a 64 bit platform, it parses
> only 64bit libraries).  Is this needed anywhere?

Yes. On sparc and I assume on ia64 as well.

> I've placed the file ldconfig-19991123.tar.gz on
> ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/  The files come with a make file for
> building.  You need glibc 2.1 or newer for compilation.
>
> I would appreciate to get your comments.  Is there anything missing
> for integration into glibc?

BTW: What was the reason not to integrate H.J.'s latest ldconfig, which
already does a few things this ldconfig does not (in addition to 32/64
handling it e.g. removes duplicates etc.)?

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jakub@redhat.com | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/~jj
Linux version 2.3.18 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)

* Re: New ldconfig
@ 1999-11-23  4:24   ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-11-23  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Jakub> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:37:55PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>> I've written a new ldconfig which I'll place under the GPL and like to
>> get added to glibc.  ldconfig should be compatible with the current
>> ldconfig, but is missing some (IMHO not needed) options.  It has been
>> successfully tested on ix86, powerpc and alpha.
>>
>> The program parses libraries of the same endianness and wordsize as
>> it's compiled for.  It currently can not handle 32 and 64 bit
>> libraries simultaneously (if compiled on a 64 bit platform, it parses
>> only 64bit libraries).  Is this needed anywhere?

Jakub> Yes. On sparc and I assume on ia64 as well.

:-(

Just for clarification: Do you use the same dynamic linker to load 32
and 64 bit libraries?  It seems that you use 0x103 as cache id for 64
bit libraries, is this right?  Are all 64 bit libraries of this type?

Jakub> BTW: What was the reason not to integrate H.J.'s latest ldconfig, which
Jakub> already does a few things this ldconfig does not (in addition to 32/64
Jakub> handling it e.g. removes duplicates etc.)?

Copyright.  Ulrich said a long time ago that he can't accept David's
ldconfig because of copyright problems - and HJ's is AFAIK derived
from David's.

Andreas
--

@ 1999-11-23  4:31     ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 1999-11-23  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 01:20:39PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Jakub> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:37:55PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >>
> >> I've written a new ldconfig which I'll place under the GPL and like to
> >> get added to glibc.  ldconfig should be compatible with the current
> >> ldconfig, but is missing some (IMHO not needed) options.  It has been
> >> successfully tested on ix86, powerpc and alpha.
> >>
> >> The program parses libraries of the same endianness and wordsize as
> >> it's compiled for.  It currently can not handle 32 and 64 bit
> >> libraries simultaneously (if compiled on a 64 bit platform, it parses
> >> only 64bit libraries).  Is this needed anywhere?
>
> Jakub> Yes. On sparc and I assume on ia64 as well.
>
> :-(
>
> Just for clarification: Do you use the same dynamic linker to load 32
> and 64 bit libraries?  It seems that you use 0x103 as cache id for 64
> bit libraries, is this right?  Are all 64 bit libraries of this type?

No, I use a different dynamic linker (/lib/ld-linux.so.2 x /lib64/ld-linux.so.2)
but I use the same /etc/ld.so.cache and ld.so.conf.
With the cache ids, I use any cache id | 0x100 for 64bit libraries.

> Jakub> BTW: What was the reason not to integrate H.J.'s latest ldconfig, which
> Jakub> already does a few things this ldconfig does not (in addition to 32/64
> Jakub> handling it e.g. removes duplicates etc.)?
>
> Copyright.  Ulrich said a long time ago that he can't accept David's
> ldconfig because of copyright problems - and HJ's is AFAIK derived
> from David's.

Ok, fine. I thought it will be like that. So I'll sit now and hack in the
32/64bit support again and duplicates removal as well.
Will get back to you with an updated version soon.

@ 1999-11-25  5:30 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-11-25  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

I've uploade a new version of ldconfig, you can get it from:
ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/ldconfig-19991125.tar.gz

The only change are Jakub's patches for handling 32 and 64 bit
libraries and a few bug fixes.

Please tell me if everything is fine so that I can prepare a patch for
inclusion in glibc.

Andreas