From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org>
To: Nathan Nye <nnye@whitebeamsec.com>
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Possible glibc 2.35 ARM regression in LD_BIND_NOT
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 14:04:12 -0300	[thread overview]

> On 5 Jul 2022, at 11:34, Nathan Nye <nnye@whitebeamsec.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I isolated the issue. When compiling binaries using gcc on Ubuntu 20.04 or below, the resulting binary does not have PIE - regardless of the -pie argument being passed to the compiler. Ubuntu 22.04 correctly reflects the default build flags being PIE and the binaries have PIE unless the arguments passed to gcc include -no-pie.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan Nye

The problem is not in fact PIE, but rather that newer toolchain default to
bindnow. Using the provided example on

* Ubuntu 14 (glibc 2.19), Ubuntu 16 (glibc 2.23), and Ubuntu 18 (glibc 2.27)

$ gcc -Wall runevp.c -o runevp -Wl,-z,lazy
$ gcc -Wall -fPIC -shared -o auditlib.so auditlib.c
$ LD_AUDIT=./auditlib.so LD_BIND_NOT=1 LD_BIND_NOW=1 ./runevp
$

* And on Ubuntu 22.04 (glibc 2.35)

$ gcc -Wall runevp.c -o runevp -Wl,-z,lazy
$ gcc -Wall -fPIC -shared -o auditlib.so auditlib.c
$ LD_AUDIT=./auditlib.so LD_BIND_NOT=1 LD_BIND_NOW=1 ./runevp
symbol binding for ‘execvp'

On glibc 2.34 we now see a bind-now la_symbind event, different than
previous version.  If you build with -Wl,-z,lazy we will see the previous
behavior where la_symbind will be called on each symbol resolution.

Now for LD_BIND_NOT and bind-now, I think this is the correct behavior:
we need to always update the GOT entry since runtime won’t setup a
lazy resolution PLT entry (symbols resolution is always setup at
startup phase).  Otherwise we will need to add a hack similar to
LD_PROFILE and I really don’t think this is the best strategy.