From: Adhemerval Zanella Netto <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org>
To: Patrick Rother <krd@gulu.net>, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: installation of glibc crashes because of ABI sonames
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:57:38 -0300	[thread overview]

On 26/09/22 09:53, Patrick Rother wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 01:35:46PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> So, before the quoted change is was possible to upgrade glibc from
>>> source on a running system, but as of 2.34 this is no longer
>>> possible.
>>
>> In my experience, it has always been required to use “make install
>> DESTDIR=…” to update a running system, and then move the resulting
>> temporary tree into place with a single command.  (The elimination of
>> symbolic links actually makes this step more reliable because there
>> are no older glibc .so files left behind.)  It never occurred to me
>> that we regressed this functionality because it didn't actually work
>> before for me.
>
> I wasn't aware of the DESTDIR=… option, and interestingly that worked
> like a charm.
>
> Problem solved for me, thank you!

It is described on INSTALL file:

408 Installing the C Library
409 ========================
410
[...]
437    You can install the GNU C Library somewhere other than where you
438 configured it to go by setting the 'DESTDIR' GNU standard make variable
439 on the command line for 'make install'.  The value of this variable is
440 prepended to all the paths for installation.  This is useful when
441 setting up a chroot environment or preparing a binary distribution.  The
442 directory should be specified with an absolute file name.  Installing
443 with the 'prefix' and 'exec_prefix' GNU standard make variables set is
444 not supported.