On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:13:39PM -0400, Mike Frysinger via Libc-help wrote: > On 23 Mar 2021 17:02, Jeffrey Walton wrote: [...] > > Test cases are monkey work that should be delegated. When delegation > > does not occur it usually points back to shortcomings in project > > management. I don't know whether Jeffrey is trying to insult monkeys here... or interns ;-P > many are good for delegation, but that doesn't mean quantity is the same as > quality. if we could get 100% coverage but it took weeks to run, but 90% > coverage took <1 hour, is that 10% worth it ? this isn't exactly hyperbole > when we have targets that run on simulators or FPGAs and have <<1GHz CPUs. That's the point. On paper, test coverage sounds good (and tests, of course are a worthy goal). Reality is harsh, doubly so in the case of an OS abstraction layer like libc. Just imagine the test harness you'd need to cover 100% of the stuff lying /below/ libc. Emulating that is possible (up to some point), but Someone(TM) gotta do it. So, Peng Yu, Jeffrey -- I think I read this already twice in this thread: "patches welcome" :-) Cheers - t