From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org>
To: Letu Ren <fantasquex@gmail.com>
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: How to skip test when building glibc
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:15:57 -0700	[thread overview]

> On 10 Jun 2022, at 23:49, Letu Ren via Libc-help <libc-help@sourceware.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to build glibc on ArchLinux RISC-V, however, some unit tests
> failure block my build script. I noticed that those failure also
> appeared in official release notes of glibc v2.35. So, I think it's
> safe to skip them. The problem is how to skip specific unit tests.
> glibc uses autotools as the build system. However, I cannot find TESTS
> and XFAIL_TESTS variables in Makefile. Glibc wiki of testsuite doesn't
> mention it as well. I tried adding the XFAIL_TESTS variable to skip
> tests, however, I failed. Could anyone help on this issue?
>
> Letu Ren

It depends of what you are doing on your build script. The ‘make’ rule does
not run unit unit test, so if you intend to just build glibc it should be suffice.

However, if you are trying to run the expected make and make check you
try to not run the tests itself with the extra ‘run-built-tests=no’ rule with
‘make check’.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid specific tests in a default 'make check’
and this is intentional: a failure really should represent an issue that might be
investigated.

We are trying to either get rid of flaky tests or improve them in a way to make
them report robust output, to avoid environment issues that might mislead
the runner.

What kind of issue are you seeing in you environment?