From: "Горбешко Богдан" <bodqhrohro@gmail.com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
Cc: "Горбешко Богдан via Libc-help" <libc-help@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: libstdc++ link errors in support/links-dso-program
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 15:50:28 +0300	[thread overview]

On 10/04/2024 15:03, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Горбешко Богдан:
>
>> We already have a solution to build this in Docker, though the target
>> test VPS is tight on resources and I wouldn't really like to mess with
>> Docker there.
> You don't have to build on the target system directly, you just need to
> use a container/chroot environment that matches the target distribution
> version.  These containers tend to be fairly lightweight, requiring less
> space and resources than a full glibc build.

An unpacked binary Glibc package takes just 12 MB. A minimal Debian
image is orders of magnitude larger.

And the primary problem with Docker is that continuous rebuilds occupy
the disk space rapidly fast, as it normally preserves old builds, which
is not a case with builds on a host system. This has to be fought in
non-trivial ways, like thorough caching. And cleaning needs to be
precise and accurate, otherwise it would involve a full recompilation,
which is much longer than partial recompilation.

I attempted to go with a balanced approach, by building only the C++
library part in Docker, exporting it and linking the Golang part against
it and old Glibc/libssl, but forfeited even with that, as symbols
requiring a new Glibc still somehow leak into the build. So I still have
to suffer with Docker BuildKit now.