* libiconv anyone ?
@ 2020-09-28 11:48 John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2020-09-28 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Recently I've been trying to find a library called "iconv" (it's needed
by libxml I believe).  Many years ago I obtained a pre-built 'dev'
version when building libxml for Win32 (i.e. the dev version offers
Dll's + libs + header files).  But I can't seem to find a Win64 version
anywhere and I've been told it's now part of libc.

Is that correct?  And if so, can I obtain a Win64 'dev' version?  Or is
it only buildable from source these days?  Many thanks,

John Emmas

* Re: libiconv anyone ?
@ 2020-09-28 11:53 ` Allin Cottrell
From: Allin Cottrell @ 2020-09-28 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Emmas; +Cc: libc-help

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020, John Emmas wrote:

> Recently I've been trying to find a library called "iconv" (it's needed by
> libxml I believe).  Many years ago I obtained a pre-built 'dev' version when
> building libxml for Win32 (i.e. the dev version offers Dll's + libs + header
> files).  But I can't seem to find a Win64 version anywhere and I've been told
> it's now part of libc.
>
> Is that correct?  And if so, can I obtain a Win64 'dev' version?  Or is it
> only buildable from source these days?  Many thanks,

Try
https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-libiconv

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

* Re: libiconv anyone ?
@ 2020-09-28 12:06 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-09-28 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Emmas; +Cc: libc-help

* John Emmas:

> Recently I've been trying to find a library called "iconv" (it's
> needed by libxml I believe).  Many years ago I obtained a pre-built
> 'dev' version when building libxml for Win32 (i.e. the dev version
> offers Dll's + libs + header files).  But I can't seem to find a Win64
> version anywhere and I've been told it's now part of libc.

We have an implementation of the iconv interfaces, but it is really
tightly integrated with glibc and fairly advanced POSIX functionality
such as dlopen.  I doubt it is feasible to extract the implementation
for building on Windows.

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill

* Re: libiconv anyone ?
@ 2020-09-28 12:44   ` John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2020-09-28 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

On 28/09/2020 13:06, Florian Weimer wrote:
> We have an implementation of the iconv interfaces, but it is really
> tightly integrated with glibc and fairly advanced POSIX functionality
> such as dlopen.  I doubt it is feasible to extract the implementation
> for building on Windows.

Thanks Florian - I'm curious to know what libiconv does.  It seems to
get used quite extensively (libxml / fontconfig / gettext etc) but I've
never been sure what it does.

Also... are libc and glibc the same thing? (that's something else I've
always wondered about !!)

John

* Re: libiconv anyone ?
@ 2020-09-28 12:49     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-09-28 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Emmas; +Cc: libc-help

* John Emmas:

> On 28/09/2020 13:06, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> We have an implementation of the iconv interfaces, but it is really
>> tightly integrated with glibc and fairly advanced POSIX functionality
>> such as dlopen.  I doubt it is feasible to extract the implementation
>> for building on Windows.
>
> Thanks Florian - I'm curious to know what libiconv does.  It seems to
> get used quite extensively (libxml / fontconfig / gettext etc) but
> I've never been sure what it does.

It provides character set conversion facilities.  It seems that Windows
has similar functionality in the form of the WideCharToMultiByte and
MultiByteToWideChar functions.

I just realized that another obstacle to for porting iconv to Windows is
that our implementation assumes that wchar_t is 32 bits, while Windows
uses UCS-2 or UTF-16 extensively (so it leans towards 16 bits for wide
characters).

> Also... are libc and glibc the same thing? (that's something else I've
> always wondered about !!)

“libc” is sometimes used to refer to the non-compiler parts of a C
implementation, that is, the C run-time library, so something like
MSVCRT.DLL.  Even on Linux, there are several different C run-time
libraries in wide use, and glibc is just one of them.

Thanks,
Florian
--

@ 2020-09-29 11:44   ` John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2020-09-29 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

On 28/09/2020 12:53, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2020, John Emmas wrote:
>
>> can I obtain a Win64 'dev' version?  Or is it only buildable from
>> source these days?  Many thanks,
>
> Try
> https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-libiconv

Thanks Allin - I did reply to your email yesterday but it didn't seem to
reach the list for some reason.  And FWIW I've just found a git project
this morning for building libiconv with VS2019:-

https://github.com/pffang/libiconv-for-Windows

I've no idea if it works but at least I've got 2 paths I can follow
now!  Thanks again,

John