* What are the option for overriding system calls GNU libc calls?
@ 2022-09-22 12:31 Godmar Back
From: Godmar Back @ 2022-09-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Tambe via Libc-help

I have a question. Say I wanted to override the `write()` system call in an
application so that when I compile and link it, my version of `write()` is
called by both the application program as well as by GNU libc, for
instance, from puts or printf.  To what extent is this supported?

I'm aware of the following options:
- (a) link statically. In this case, if I provide a strong definition of
`write()`, the application will pick it up. GNU libc, otoh, uses
`__write()`  Overriding `__write` with a strong definition works and gets
libc to call my __write.

- (b) link dynamically and use `LD_PRELOAD`. In this case, I can get the
application to call my `write`, but libc will continue to call `__write`; I
believe; I haven't tried if I can provide a __write and have libc pick up
on it since (I thought) that libc resolves these symbols internally or from
a dynamic library on its link chain.

In any event, my question is: is there a sanctioned or semi-sanctioned way
to override system calls for both the static and dynamic linking process?

 - Godmar