From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
To: Roger Phillips <heidegg@hotmail.com>
Cc: Roger Phillips via Libc-help <libc-help@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Getting more info about a heap corruption
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:17:14 +0200	[thread overview]

* Roger Phillips:

> Thanks for the answer! Do you mean just LD_PRELOAD libasan without
> linking against it?

Yes, I think this will work in at least some cases.  There are other
debugging memory allocators that could be used in a similar way, of
course.

> Regarding less optimized libc, do you know if Ubuntu produces such
> versions for their packages?

I don't think so.  You'd have to rebuild glibc yourself with different
build flags, using their build process, but you don't have to install
the result.  Just copy the libc-2.31.so file and LD_PRELOAD it on the
target system.  Note that you need to rebuild the exact same glibc
version, otherwise it might not work.  And you have to do the rebuild
for each libc6 package update.

Thanks,
Florian