From: Fengkai Sun <qcloud1014@gmail.com>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: CHECK_STATIC_TLS in R_X86_64_TPOFF64 type relocation
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:05:46 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your reply!

I figure out that dlopened DSOs could use the initial-exec model: as long
as they can have access to static TLS, they are the same as DSOs introduced
by the main executable.

However, I am confused why (and when) the link editor emits initial-exec
for DSOs, because this model is not guaranteed to work. If the TLS segment
in a dlopened DSO is too large to fit in static space, it will fail the
main program and the user does not have a way to fix it. In contrast, the
two dynamic models always work.

Sorry if this sounds deviated and like a linker-related question.

---
Thanks,
Fengkai