Hi, I've been implementing my own copy of strto[iu](3bsd), to avoid the complexity of calling strtol(3) et al. In the process, I've noticed that all of these functions use restrict for their parameters. Why do these functions use restrict? While the second parameter is not used for accessing nptr memory (**endptr is not accessed), it can point to the same memory. Here is an example of how these functions can have pointers to the same memory in the two arguments. l = strtol(p, &p, 0); The use of restrict in the prototype of the function could result in compiler warnings, no? Currently, I don't see any warnings, but I suspect the compiler could complain, since the same memory is available to the function via two different arguments (albeit with a different number of references). The use of restrict in the definition of the function doesn't help the optimizer, since it already knows that the second parameter is out-only, so even if it weren't restrict, the only way to access memory is via the first parameter. Thanks, Alex --