On Sun, Dec 03, 2023 at 05:33:59PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote: > But yeah, the point is there: the standard's definition of restrict > isn't very good. > > > The historical docs point towards a decision to stamp the prototype with > > restrict under the assumption that (1) the string and the pointer to string > > are in disjoint memory locations, > > This justifies the restrict on endptr. > > > and (2) the implementations would > > use endptr for nothing else other than maintaining a position in the given > > string. > > This is quite brittle. The restrict on ntpr should cause the compiler > to scream. I'll report a missing warning on bugzilla. Here's a reproducer of the bug: $ cat restrict.c long bogus_strtol(const char *restrict s, char **restrict ep, int base); int main(void) { char buf[3] = "foo"; char *p = buf; bogus_strtol(p, &p, -42); } long bogus_strtol(const char *restrict s, char **restrict ep, int base) { **ep = *s; return base; } $ cc -Wall -Wextra restrict.c -fanalyzer $ clang -Weverything restrict.c $ cc -Wall -Wextra restrict.c -fanalyzer -O3 $ clang -Weverything restrict.c -O3 I was expecting to see something, at least from one of the compilers, or maybe from -fanalyzer, but to my surprise, this bug is completely unnoticed; both in the call and in the definition. It's time to file a bug. --