From: Bill Cunningham <bill.cu1234@gmail.com>
To: libc-help@sourceware.org
Subject: gcc and glibc problems
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:23:23 -0500	[thread overview]

I compiled a new gcc from my system gcc and glibc. Now to link a new gcc
and the glibc. I have not attached any copies of errors and will try to
explain the problems and will attach copies if necessary. But, the
config.log returns error 77.

I can compile working gcc executables by linking with the libc's newer
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. But these executables are not truly linkable, as,

gcc -v -Wl,-Map -Wl,mapfile prog.c -o elffile

returns ld errors and still links with glibc at /usr/lib64. Now in the
path of the freshly made newer glibc that I compile.

I try to compile with this,

configure --prefix=/installdir --disable-nls --disable-werror
--with-build-time-tools=/mnt/path \

LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath -Wl/mnt/lib64' CC=/mnt/bin/gcc CXX=/mnt/bin/g++
LD_RUN_LIBRARY=/mnt/lib64

/mnt/lib is a soft link to /mnt/lib64; and all the library are there.

This compiles an executable that runs using some dynamic linker. Be it
that above mentioned or the elf file linker. But it is still linked to
the system libc. /usr/lib64 and not /mnt/lib64.

I hope this makes sense. IS there anything I can try?