* compile issue: configure failed
@ 2022-09-12 21:20 Jerome Yanga
From: Jerome Yanga @ 2022-09-12 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello,

I attempted to compile GLIBC v2.36.  However,  I ran into an issue that I
am not sure how to fix.  Help.  I have provided the output below.

https://dpaste.org/rC5FQ

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

* Re: compile issue: configure failed
@ 2022-09-12 21:27 ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2022-09-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Yanga, libc-help

On Mon, 2022-09-12 at 14:20 -0700, Jerome Yanga via Libc-help wrote:
> I attempted to compile GLIBC v2.36.  However,  I ran into an issue
> that I am not sure how to fix.  Help.  I have provided the output
> below.

We prefer to see a curated cut-and-paste of error messages, rather than
links to screenshots.  Not everyone can follow such links, and not
everyone can easily read screenshots, and we can't easily cut-and-paste
text from a screenshot in our responses.

The issue is pretty straightforward; the error says:

  checking for gnumake... no
  checking for gmake... gmake
  checking version of gmake... 3.82, bad

So, the configure script first looks for gnumake, then gmake, then make
(presumably) and it uses the first one it finds.

You may have a "make" command on your PATH which is new enough, but you
also have a "gmake" command on your PATH which is too old.

You can delete gmake, or change your PATH so that the directory
containing gmake is not on it anymore, or possibly there's a configure
option or variable that lets you specify exactly which make you want to
use: see the mentioned documentation or run "./configure --help" for
more info.