* libc/libstdc++ compatibility between versions
@ 2018-08-09  7:51 Igor Chudov
From: Igor Chudov @ 2018-08-09  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello!

I and my colleagues have a problem: We're compiling C++98 solib using GCC 4.4 on CentOS 6. We want to move to the newer compiler (GCC 4.8 on CentOS 7) but we still want the resulting DSO might be used by CentOS 6 users. So the question is:
- Is it possible to force linking with specific API version of glibc so we will be able to lock the functionality on CentOS 6 version of glibc? Maybe it is possible using linker scripts?

Any help would be appreciated.
---
IGOR CHUDOV
Junior Software Engineer

* Re: libc/libstdc++ compatibility between versions
@ 2018-08-09 12:56 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2018-08-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Chudov, libc-help

On 08/09/2018 09:51 AM, Igor Chudov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I and my colleagues have a problem: We're compiling C++98 solib using GCC 4.4 on CentOS 6. We want to move to the newer compiler (GCC 4.8 on CentOS 7) but we still want the resulting DSO might be used by CentOS 6 users. So the question is:
> - Is it possible to force linking with specific API version of glibc so we will be able to lock the functionality on CentOS 6 version of glibc?

Not directly, no.  The recommended way is to use DTS on CentOS 6 if you
want to build binaries with a newer GCC version and stay ABI-compatible
with CentOS 6.

Thanks,
Florian