* Usage of dlmopen
@ 2018-08-06 12:53 Igor Chudov
From: Igor Chudov @ 2018-08-06 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello!

I want to use dlmopen(3) call to load 3rd party problematic DSOs, but here: https://lwn.net/Articles/550033/ I read that dlmopen(3) may fail after several dlmopen()/dlclose() attempts and the number of namespaces is limited to 16 but this statement dates back to 2013. Could anybody tell me if the statement is still correct and is there any common way to workaround dlmopen(3) limitations?

---
With best regards, Igor Chudov

* Re: Usage of dlmopen
@ 2018-08-06 12:56 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2018-08-06 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Chudov, libc-help

On 08/06/2018 08:53 AM, Igor Chudov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to use dlmopen(3) call to load 3rd party problematic DSOs, but
> here: https://lwn.net/Articles/550033/ I read that dlmopen(3) may
> fail after several dlmopen()/dlclose() attempts and the number of
> namespaces is limited to 16 but this statement dates back to 2013.
> Could anybody tell me if the statement is still correct and is there
> any common way to workaround dlmopen(3) limitations?

At present dlmopen is limited to use for LD_AUDIT objects and general
purpose use of dlmopen is not recommended. The limit of 16 namespaces
is still in place. There are no workarounds.

We are reviewing work done by Vivek Das Mohapatra to fully implement
dlmopen:
https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-06/msg00103.html

Any feedback on that implementation would be appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.