It's complexity we'd have to maintain. Valid point and if there is no use for anyone totally ok. But the point for a service is that I'd basically have to keep a fork of libresolv and nss_dns up2date for this change which is much more work. That's the reason why I was asking, perhaps some others would see some need for it. It also breaks in case processes switch to some other for increased isolation (perhaps with user namespaces). Therefore I wanted to keep the legacy behavior untouched. If there is no need to use uid filters just dig with the used config without any changes. I recommend the separate service module approach. If I have to do it that way sure. Perhaps someone can give me some hints if there is a easier way to go for it instead of cloning the whole nss_dns including libresolv?