On 5/18/19 6:22 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote: > On 5/17/19 7:12 PM, Jakob Runge wrote: >> If my observations are correct it would seem to me that the >> 'p_cs_precedes' and 'n_cs_precedes' for fr_CH should be adjusted. >> >> I'd love to read confirmation or correction on this. > > The current data in fr_CH was contributed by Keld Simonsen, and you > should reach out to him also to discuss this issue. > > In general glibc tries to match published government standards about > language locales and particularly for number formats. > > Quoting that CLDR is different is not a good justification. Yes, we > are trying hard to harmonize the glibc locales with CLDR since it > avoids confusion. However, we also need to understand which database > has it right, and correct the other. I've dug deeper and have expended my answer at StackOverflow [1]. The CLDR ticket [2] that discusses this formatting change cites, among other sources, the CERN guide on typography [3]. This guide specifies: > Écriture des sommes d’argent > > Le nombre s’écrit par tranches de trois chiffres séparées par un espace insécable > (pas de point ni d’apostrophe de séparation), et est suivi (et jamais précédé) de > l’indication de la monnaie soit au long, soit en abrégé. Pour les abréviations de noms > de monnaie, on utilise le code ISO. Using google translate this roughly translates to: > Writing sums of money > > The number is written in three-digit increments separated by a non-breaking space > (no point or apostrophe of separation), and is followed (and never preceded) by > the indication of the currency is long or abbreviated. For name abbreviations > currency, we use the ISO code. From this I gather that indeed the `p_cs_precedes` and `n_cs_precedes` settings for fr_CH should be adjusted. Since I don't have further information on other *_CH locales, and the settings for de_CH seem to coincide with the current CLDR settings it is my believe that only fr_CH is affected by this and should therefore be different from de_CH and not have: > LC_MONETARY > copy "de_CH" > END LC_MONETAR All the best, Jakob [1]: https://stackoverflow.com/a/56161892/448591 [2]: https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-9370 [3]: https://translation-council-support-group.web.cern.ch/sites/translation-council-support-group.web.cern.ch/files/Guide%20Typo_FR_styleCERN.pdf