public inbox for libc-ports@sourceware.org
* Ports and fanotify_init, fanotify_mark syscalls
@ 2010-08-12 22:28 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2010-08-12 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-ports

A recent libc change that will need corresponding ports changes was:

commit 10b3bedcb03386cc280113f552479793e4bac35f
Author: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
Date:   Wed Aug 11 12:41:48 2010 -0700

    Add support for Linux fanotify_init and fanotify_mask syscalls.

I have *not* so far made such changes.  The libc patch only addresses i386
and wordsize-64 targets, not other 32-bit libc targets; whether a 32-bit
target can add the fanotify_mark system call via syscalls.list using
"i:iiiiis" or whether it needs a custom implementation depends on the
details of the function calling interface and the system call on that
target for passing a 64-bit parameter.  Thus, it can only sensibly be
added once the system call has actually been wired up for a given target
in the kernel (and it has not been for most targets).  Note that if it is
added for some target after glibc 2.13 is out then the symbol versions for
that target will need adjusting accordingly.

(I expect MIPS n32 and n64 will end up using the syscalls.list definition
presently used for wordsize-64, based on the usual conventions for the n32
system call interface corresponding to the normal function call interface
where possible, but that is speculation until the system call is actually
wired up in the kernel.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Ports and fanotify_init, fanotify_mark syscalls
@ 2010-08-12 22:33 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2010-08-12 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: libc-ports

> Note that if it is added for some target after glibc 2.13 is out then the
> symbol versions for that target will need adjusting accordingly.

Or you could add ENOSYS stubs in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux now.