public inbox for libc-ports@sourceware.org
* gcc vs. glibc bootstrapping of libgcc_eh.a
@ 2011-11-09 17:29 Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2011-11-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, GLIBC Devel, libc-ports

I've run into a bootstrapping issue which I'd like to solve
"the right way", instead of continuing to hack around it.

Briefly: I can't build glibc without libgcc_eh.a, which is
provided by gcc. However, libgcc_eh.a is not built, unless
I configure gcc with --enable-shared. But doing so causes
gcc to attempt to build libgcc_s.so, which fails because it
wants to link to libc.so, which hasn't been built yet.  And
so it goes....

The "obvious" fix, to me, is to change the libgcc/Makefile.in
to always build libgcc_eh.a (and install it) Would such a
patch be acceptable?

BTW, this is for the "hexagon" architecture, being cross-built.
Perhaps there's some other work-around that I missed...

(our current work-around is to build uClibc first, install
that, and then finish building gcc, then build glibc. Seems
pretty yucky to me.)

--linas