public inbox for libc-ports@sourceware.org
* Ordering of ports move to libc
@ 2014-01-30 18:29 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2014-01-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-ports; +Cc: Richard Henderson, Chris Metcalf, Carlos O'Donell

After 2.19 has branched and master reopened for 2.20 development, we would
like to move ports architectures to libc, as described at
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-01/msg00373.html> (which
includes the architecture maintainers doing the moves for their
architectures and checking that the before-and-after disassembly of
installed shared libraries is identical).

I've checked what cases there are where one ports architecture uses files
from another.  In such cases, either the moves need to be
dependency-ordered, or else the #include direction needs to be reversed at
move time.  To avoid unnecessary churn and potential conflicts when two
people try to move their architectures at once, I suggest
dependency-ordering if the depended-on architecture can be moved quickly.

The following architectures use linux-generic (both via Implies files and
#include): aarch64, tile.  So I suggest that linux-generic is moved early.

There are the following other dependencies (for example, arm uses files
from alpha):

aarch64: arm
arm: alpha
microblaze: alpha
mips: alpha arm hppa

Thus, I suggest moving alpha early - and once that's moved, I'll move arm.
hppa is blocked by not building rather than by dependencies; I'll reverse
the #include direction between sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/hppa/umount.c and
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/mips64/umount.c unless hppa is fixed soon
(fixing the hppa build would unblock it for move to libc).

As well as alpha, ia64 and m68k are unblocked for moving as soon as master
reopens, and tile is unblocked as soon as linux-generic has moved (or they
could move at the same time).  I intend to remove am33 as soon as master
reopens.

When moving a port, as well as moving the files you should properly update
the lists of ports in the libc README file as well.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com