public inbox for libc-ports@sourceware.org
From: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>
Cc: Mark Salter <msalter@redhat.com>
Cc: libc-ports@sourceware.org, hp@axis.com
Subject: Re: glibc am33 and cris architectures
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 04:29:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Feb 21, 2012, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> The am33 and cris glibc ports won't have worked since the 2.3-2.5 era for
> lack of NPTL/TLS support.  They are currently on the deprecation list for
> removal after glibc 2.16 is released
> <http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Deprecation>.  But given how long they
> won't have worked, I wonder if we should just remove them now.  Alexandre,
> Hans-Peter - do you have, or know of, any near-term plans to bring your
> respective ports up to date with NPTL and TLS support and updates for all
> the other libc changes in the past several years?  If not, I think it's
> time to remove them.  (Alexandre, since you have write access you can just
> remove the am33 port yourself - "git rm" on the directories sysdeps/am33
> sysdeps/unix/am33 sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/am33 with an appropriate entry
> in ChangeLog.am33.)

I've long been out of touch WRT am33, but I finally brought this up
within Red Hat folks that are involved with it.

Mark Salter volunteered to contribute the updates he'd worked on, but
that had failed to be contributed because I failed to review the TLS
support patches for GCC and binutils (sorry)

So, instead of removing the port, I suggest we name Mark maintainer of
the am33 port.  Any objections?