public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com>
To: Anthony Green <green@moxielogic.com>
Cc: libffi-discuss <libffi-discuss@sourceware.org>,
	       Ian Lance Taylor <iant@golang.org>
Subject: Re: libffi 3.3 release candidate 1
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 09.11.19 18:46, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:04 AM Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>>> The arm64 failures are mysterious runtime failures.  The libffi test
>>> results for arm64 are good, so I'm wondering if the debian package adds
>> any
>>> patches.
>>
>> no patches.
>>

> I tested g-wrap (upstream) on arm64, and am not able to reproduce the
> problem.  "make check" worked fine with the new libffi.
>

>> The jffi failures all look like this:
>>>
>>>        [exec] make[2]: *** No rule to make target '-L/usr/lib/../lib',
>>> needed by '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/build/jni/jffi/LongDouble.o'.  Stop.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this has something to do with how libffi is installed now?
>>> Regardless, it's probably easy to fix whatever it is.
>>
>> libffi has in the pkg-config file: Libs: -L/usr/lib/../lib
>> Normally pkg-config filters out system directories, but apparently fails
>> for
>> noncanonical paths.  And jffi only expects libs.  So something packagers
>> should
>> catch, unless you want to remove all the multilib build support, but I'm
>> still
>> awaiting your libffi merge for GCC 10 ;)
>>

> This may never happen.  libffi should probably just come out of GCC, and go
> can depend on the system libffi.

CCing Ian.

Currently libgo doesn't have a --with-system-ffi=<auto|yes|no> option, it always
builds with the in-tree libffi. So currently it's not possible, and it's not
possible to do that for multilib builds, because the non-default multilib
variants are not available by default.

For zlib (required for the phobos runtime), I wrote a patch for
   --with-target-system-zlib=auto
using the system zlib when possible, and falling back to the in-tree zlib when
the target library is not available.

Same for --enable-objc-gc=auto, but in this case this is an optional library.

And people are currently not processing patches for GCC/libffi, because they
seem to expect a merge at some time ...

So maybe clarify what you plan to do with libffi in the GCC sources.

Matthias