public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* libffi 3.0.9 release candidate 1
@ 2009-10-05  4:57 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2009-10-05  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss, Bradley Smith, aghuloum, aballier, rehsack

Here's 3.0.9rc1:
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz

I built this out of my new git repository here:
http://github.com/atgreen/libffi

I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.

I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
they're clean.

Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.  The
source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.

I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial test
results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.

Thanks,

AG

* Re: libffi 3.0.9 release candidate 1
@ 2009-10-05 18:07 ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:57:30AM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> Here's 3.0.9rc1:
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz
>
> I built this out of my new git repository here:
> http://github.com/atgreen/libffi
>
> I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
> repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
> configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
> fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.
>
> I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
> Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
> they're clean.
>
> Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.
> The source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.
>
> I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial
> test results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> AG

As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?

libffi 3.0.8:
# of expected passes            1365
# of unexpected failures        8
# of unsupported tests          15

libffi 3.0.9rc1
# of expected passes            685
# of unexpected failures        348
# of unsupported tests          15

Cheers,
Jasper

--
"Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
  texture of the situation at hand"

* Re: libffi 3.0.9 release candidate 1
@ 2009-10-05 18:08   ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:06:53PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:57:30AM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> > Here's 3.0.9rc1:
> > ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz
> >
> > I built this out of my new git repository here:
> > http://github.com/atgreen/libffi
> >
> > I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
> > repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
> > configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
> > fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.
> >
> > I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
> > Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
> > they're clean.
> >
> > Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.
> > The source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.
> >
> > I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial
> > test results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > AG
>
> As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
> OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
> ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
>
> libffi 3.0.8:
> # of expected passes            1365
> # of unexpected failures        8
> # of unsupported tests          15
>
> libffi 3.0.9rc1
> # of expected passes            685
> # of unexpected failures        348
> # of unsupported tests          15
>
> Cheers,
> Jasper
>
> --
> "Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
>   texture of the situation at hand"
>         -- Francisco Varela

this time with the log *attached*..

[-- Attachment #2: libffi.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gunzip, Size: 23443 bytes --]

* Re: libffi 3.0.9 release candidate 1
@ 2009-10-05 18:21     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2009-10-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse; +Cc: libffi-discuss

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:06:53PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:57:30AM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
>>
>>> Here's 3.0.9rc1:
>>> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz
>>>
>>> I built this out of my new git repository here:
>>> http://github.com/atgreen/libffi
>>>
>>> I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
>>> repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
>>> configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
>>> fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.
>>>
>>> I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
>>> Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
>>> they're clean.
>>>
>>> Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.
>>> The source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.
>>>
>>> I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial
>>> test results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> AG
>>>
>> As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
>> OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
>> ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?

All the closure tests are failing.  Do you have time to help debug this?

Thanks,

AG

@ 2009-10-05 18:23       ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2009-10-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse; +Cc: libffi-discuss

Anthony Green wrote:
> Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:06:53PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
>> wrote:

>>> As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
>>> OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
>>> ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
>>>

> All the closure tests are failing.  Do you have time to help debug this?

I should mention that they work fine on x86_64 linux, so this either has
to do with x86_64 openbsd bits in the source or perhaps your compiler
version.  Which version of GCC are you using?

@ 2009-10-05 18:25       ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: libffi-discuss

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:21:49PM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

> >>As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
> >>OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
> >>ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
>
> All the closure tests are failing.  Do you have time to help debug this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AG
>

> >>libffi 3.0.8:
> >># of expected passes            1365
> >># of unexpected failures        8
> >># of unsupported tests          15
> >>
> >>libffi 3.0.9rc1
> >># of expected passes            685
> >># of unexpected failures        348
> >># of unsupported tests          15
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Jasper
> >>
> >>--
> >>"Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
> >>  texture of the situation at hand"
> >>        -- Francisco Varela
> >
> >this time with the log *attached*..
Hi,

I don't have too much time this week, although next week (from this
friday onwards) I have plenty of time.

Please let me know how I can help.

Cheers,
Jasper

--

@ 2009-10-05 18:29         ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: libffi-discuss

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:23:29PM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> Anthony Green wrote:
> >Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

> >All the closure tests are failing.  Do you have time to help debug this?
> >

> I should mention that they work fine on x86_64 linux, so this either
> has to do with x86_64 openbsd bits in the source or perhaps your
> compiler version.  Which version of GCC are you using?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AG
I'm using "gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (propolice)" (default on OpenBSD. I can try
again with gcc 4.2.4 after i built it.

Note, the closure regress tests also fail on OpenBSD/i386 (gcc 3)
--

@ 2009-10-05 20:01           ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: libffi-discuss

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:29:08PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:23:29PM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> > Anthony Green wrote:

> > >All the closure tests are failing.  Do you have time to help debug this?
> > >

> > I should mention that they work fine on x86_64 linux, so this either
> > has to do with x86_64 openbsd bits in the source or perhaps your
> > compiler version.  Which version of GCC are you using?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > AG
> I'm using "gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (propolice)" (default on OpenBSD. I can try
> again with gcc 4.2.4 after i built it.
>
> Note, the closure regress tests also fail on OpenBSD/i386 (gcc 3)
> --
> "Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
>   texture of the situation at hand"
>         -- Francisco Varela
compiling on of the regress tests manually with (egcc is gcc 4.2.4):

/usr/local/bin/egcc libffi.call/closure_fn0.c  -O0 -W -Wall -I../include/ -L ../.libs/ -lffi -lm -o a.out

gives me:

libffi.call/ffitest.h:8:23: error: fficonfig.h: No such file or directory

which makes sense, as the topdir isn't in the include path of the
compile command, and fficonfig.h isn't in the -I../include/ but in -I../
(topdir).

then compiling with the added -I../ works, although it segfaults at run
time, and i cannot get a proper backtrace.

--

@ 2009-10-05 20:21   ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2009-10-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse; +Cc: libffi-discuss, Anthony Green

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:57:30AM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
>> Here's 3.0.9rc1:
>> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> I built this out of my new git repository here:
>> http://github.com/atgreen/libffi
>>
>> I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
>> repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
>> configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
>> fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.
>>
>> I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
>> Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
>> they're clean.
>>
>> Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.
>> The source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.
>>
>> I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial
>> test results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> AG
>
> As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
> OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
> ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
>
> libffi 3.0.8:
> # of expected passes            1365
> # of unexpected failures        8
> # of unsupported tests          15
>
> libffi 3.0.9rc1
> # of expected passes            685
> # of unexpected failures        348
> # of unsupported tests          15

Could you try to copy the testcases from 3.0.8 (maybe even 3.0.7) to
3.0.9rc1 and rerun the testsuite?

I encounter similar failures on FreeBSD sparc64 and amd64. Copying the
testcases from an older libffi release to the 3.0.9rc1 brings everthing
back in PASS land here. (with gcc-4.2.x)
Well, that is not the solution, just a first step to isolate the issue.

In the meantime I try to find out what is going on, I guess MMAP vs.
ffi_closure_alloc is the starting point to investigate.

Andreas

* Re: libffi 3.0.9 release candidate 1
@ 2009-10-05 20:31     ` Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
From: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse @ 2009-10-05 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Tobler; +Cc: libffi-discuss, Anthony Green

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:20:31PM +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 12:57:30AM -0400, Anthony Green wrote:
> >>Here's 3.0.9rc1:
> >>ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-3.0.9rc1.tar.gz
> >>
> >>I built this out of my new git repository here:
> >>http://github.com/atgreen/libffi
> >>
> >>I'm using stgit, which is like quilt for git.  I rebased the git
> >>repository to gcc HEAD, then added the "stand-alone" patches (mostly
> >>configury changes), the AVR port, the Snow Leopard memory protection
> >>fix, and the 64-bit AIX fix.
> >>
> >>I believe we're missing ChangeLog entries from Jens, Abdulaziz, and
> >>Bradley.  Please send them.  I'll push your changes into GCC once
> >>they're clean.
> >>
> >>Abdulaziz - please also check that I applied your patch correctly.
> >>The source files had changed somewhat since you submitted it.
> >>
> >>I'll set up a wiki page to track platform testing soon, but initial
> >>test results and pointers to missing patches would be helpful.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>AG
> >
> >As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
> >OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
> >ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
> >
> >libffi 3.0.8:
> ># of expected passes            1365
> ># of unexpected failures        8
> ># of unsupported tests          15
> >
> >libffi 3.0.9rc1
> ># of expected passes            685
> ># of unexpected failures        348
> ># of unsupported tests          15
>
> Could you try to copy the testcases from 3.0.8 (maybe even 3.0.7) to
> 3.0.9rc1 and rerun the testsuite?
>
> I encounter similar failures on FreeBSD sparc64 and amd64. Copying
> the testcases from an older libffi release to the 3.0.9rc1 brings
> everthing back in PASS land here. (with gcc-4.2.x)
> Well, that is not the solution, just a first step to isolate the issue.
>
> In the meantime I try to find out what is going on, I guess MMAP vs.
> ffi_closure_alloc is the starting point to investigate.
>
> Andreas
cp -r /usr/obj/ports/libffi-3.0.8/libffi-3.0.8.testsuite/libffi.call/ /usr/obj/ports/libffi-3.0.9rc1/libffi-3.0.9rc1/testsuite/

Makes them PASS again here too, with gcc3.

I'm short on time this week, if you go first and dive into it, please :)

--

@ 2009-10-05 20:36       ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2009-10-05 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse; +Cc: libffi-discuss, Anthony Green

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:20:31PM +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>> Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

>>> As of this RC, there's an increase of about 340 in failed tests on
>>> OpenBSD. I've attached the log. The unwindtest.cc failure is expected,
>>> ther others not. Anyone has a clue what's going on here?
>>>
>>> libffi 3.0.8:
>>> # of expected passes            1365
>>> # of unexpected failures        8
>>> # of unsupported tests          15
>>>
>>> libffi 3.0.9rc1
>>> # of expected passes            685
>>> # of unexpected failures        348
>>> # of unsupported tests          15
>> Could you try to copy the testcases from 3.0.8 (maybe even 3.0.7) to
>> 3.0.9rc1 and rerun the testsuite?
>>
>> I encounter similar failures on FreeBSD sparc64 and amd64. Copying
>> the testcases from an older libffi release to the 3.0.9rc1 brings
>> everthing back in PASS land here. (with gcc-4.2.x)
>> Well, that is not the solution, just a first step to isolate the issue.
>>
>> In the meantime I try to find out what is going on, I guess MMAP vs.
>> ffi_closure_alloc is the starting point to investigate.
>>
>> Andreas
> cp -r /usr/obj/ports/libffi-3.0.8/libffi-3.0.8.testsuite/libffi.call/ /usr/obj/ports/libffi-3.0.9rc1/libffi-3.0.9rc1/testsuite/
>
> Makes them PASS again here too, with gcc3.
>
> I'm short on time this week, if you go first and dive into it, please :)

Np. I'll take care.
Thanks for testing.
Andreas