public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com>
To: Anthony Green <green@moxielogic.com>,
	libffi-discuss <libffi-discuss@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Announcing libffi 3.4.2
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:01:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Anthony,

In February 2020, you asked in the thread "Another libffi ABI change and another
release" about a new release. Pings in July 2020 and November were unanswered.
3.3 had a similar release process, with a pending release for more than two
years. Now rushing a new release just for the sake of a single distro seems odd,
maybe there is some room for improvement in the release process?

When looking at 3.4.2 (after announcing 3.4),

 - libtool-version says the abi version is 9, but that seems
   to be ignored. Where is the definition of the ABI version
   coming from?

 - README.md talks about 3.4.1, not 3.4.2.

I packaged 3.4.2 for Debian (the only way I can test it on the Debian
infrastructure), it needs manual approval for the renamed library package, so I
can't give feedback on test results yet, and have to wait until its built.
Tests for the Ubuntu architectures pass.

Do you plan to update the libffi copy within GCC to this release?   If not,
could you give instructions, how the two copies are managed in your VCS, and
what is the best way to merge those?

I just saw your ping on #libffi on Freenode on Monday, however you are seldom be
present on this channel.  Is this channel still somewhat official, Is it moved
to Libera.Net as everything else?  If yes, maybe mention the channel on the
libffi home page as well.

Thanks, Matthias