public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* Header installation directory
@ 2018-02-02 18:28 Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2018-02-02 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for this question... I configured with
--prefix=/usr/local and --libdir=/usr/local/lib64 on Fedora. Build and
install seems to go well, but this caught my eye:

    gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am'.
     /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/lib64/libffi-3.2.1/include'
     /bin/install -c -m 644 ffi.h ffitarget.h
'/usr/local/lib64/libffi-3.2.1/include'

The header file location seems a bit unusual. Are headers supposed to
be installed below the libdir?

The libffi home page does not discuss header file location, and I did
not see an INSTALL or README to look it up. I also did not see an
option when running ./configure --help.

Looking at Stallman's
https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
, I don't really see a place for a version-specific set of header
files. It looks like the convention is to overwrite old headers with
new headers when from the same package.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

* Re: Header installation directory
@ 2018-02-04  1:03 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2018-02-04  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noloader; +Cc: libffi-discuss

Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:

> The header file location seems a bit unusual. Are headers supposed to
> be installed below the libdir?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your note.  See this thread for background info:

https://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2017/msg00000.html

It's likely that nobody cares about multi-arch headers anymore, so maybe
we should just forget about this and dump the arch specific headers in
/usr/include.

Would anybody object?

AG

@ 2018-02-06  5:30   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2018-02-06  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green, noloader; +Cc: libffi-discuss

On 04.02.2018 02:03, Anthony Green wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The header file location seems a bit unusual. Are headers supposed to
>> be installed below the libdir?
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your note.  See this thread for background info:
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2017/msg00000.html
>
> It's likely that nobody cares about multi-arch headers anymore, so maybe
> we should just forget about this and dump the arch specific headers in
> /usr/include.
>
> Would anybody object?

They should be installed in standard locations. However that change should not
be backported to the GCC sources. Btw, do you plan to backport the recent libffi
development to be used in GCC 8?

Matthias