public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* libffi support for z/OS and xlc compiler?
@ 2019-07-02 14:45 Alan Lehotsky
From: Alan Lehotsky @ 2019-07-02 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

I implemented a minimal ability to dynamically call DLLs on z/OS using xlc, but it’s far from able to handle the full C ABI for passing  returning things like structs by value or mixing floats and doubles.  It would seem that libffi would be a more capable environment, but there doesn’t seem to be a supported z/OS port - just the OS390 UNIX ports.

Anybody know if the OS390 ABI is compatible with the z/OS ABI?  I tried a google search to see if there was any comparison documentation, but didn’t get any obvious hits.
And has anybody tried using libffi on z/OS?

— Al

* Re: libffi support for z/OS and xlc compiler?
@ 2019-07-02 15:00 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2019-07-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Lehotsky; +Cc: libffi-discuss, apl

Hi Alan - it's been a long time!

Alan Lehotsky <alehotsky@codegentllc.com> writes:

> Anybody know if the OS390 ABI is compatible with the z/OS ABI?  I tried a google search to see if there was any comparison documentation, but didn’t get any obvious hits.
> And has anybody tried using libffi on z/OS?

A quick google search tells me that an intern at IBM ported libffi to
z/OS in 2015: https://shayonc.github.io/
You could try reaching out to them.

AG

* Re: libffi support for z/OS and xlc compiler?
@ 2019-07-03 22:08 Devin Nakamura
From: Devin Nakamura @ 2019-07-03 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss; +Cc: alehotsky, green

libffi-discuss-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 2019-07-02 11:00:43 AM:

> From: Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
> To: Alan Lehotsky <alehotsky@codegentllc.com>
> Cc: libffi-discuss@sourceware.org, apl@alum.mit.edu
> Date: 2019-07-02 11:01 AM
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: libffi support for z/OS and xlc compiler?
> Sent by: libffi-discuss-owner@sourceware.org
>

> Hi Alan - it's been a long time!
>
> Alan Lehotsky <alehotsky@codegentllc.com> writes:
>
> > Anybody know if the OS390 ABI is compatible with the z/OS ABI?  I
> tried a google search to see if there was any comparison
> documentation, but didn’t get any obvious hits.
> > And has anybody tried using libffi on z/OS?
Not sure what you mean. AFAIK OS390 == z/OS. If you mean linux 390,
then no, they are not abi compatible

> A quick google search tells me that an intern at IBM ported libffi to
> z/OS in 2015
I can do you one better. I am ended up rewriting the z/os port and am
currently the one maintaining it. There a quite a few limitations (I
only bothered implementing as much as we needed)
What exactly did you need it for? I'd be happy to help. (I've been
meaning to upstream the changes, but there have always been more
urgent matters on my plate)

Standard disclaimer: my opinions are my own, and in no way do I
represent IBM, etc. etc.