public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* Another libffi ABI change and another release
@ 2020-02-24  1:07 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2020-02-24  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss; +Cc: s.mesoraca16, H.J. Lu

HJ from Intel just contributed a set of ABI changing patches that will move
us up to .so.8.

These are changes increase trampoline sizes in order to support Intel's
Control-Flow Enforcement Technology (CET), which is designed to counter
return-oriented programming attacks.  My understanding is that this might
require changes to kernel trampoline emulators, like EMUTRAMP and S.A.R.A.
(copying the author).

The only other notable changes are some 32-bit PPC fixes and a soft-float
MIPS correction.

I just thought I'd float this idea in case anyone has any pending urgent
changes.  I'd like to get a new release out so we can upgrade the libffi in
Fedora (which so far has not published the .7 version).

AG