public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* libffi 3.3 release planning
@ 2018-03-23 14:16 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2018-03-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

I'd like to ship libffi 3.3 before the end of May.

To that end, I've been doing some minor maintenance recently:
 - clean up of travis builds
 - integration of Bruno Haible's testsuite
 - addition of moxie-elf travis test target (the only non-native x86)
 - github issue triage
 - recording of libffi test results in github wiki

Here's where I could use some help:

* CI Testing

Travis and appveyor testing is really valuable.  However, we've only
implemented travis tests for 6 configurations, and appveyor (Windows) is
only running a single build config with no testing.

It would be nice to add more CI targets.. MacOS, different Linux
architectures, Android, iOS, embedded targets.  I don't know to what degree
these are all possible.   Test suite runs as part of the CI process would
be ideal, although the testsuite known to not work everywhere.  For what
it's worth, Bruno's tests can run without dejagnu -- so even that is better
than nothing.   Contributions in this area would be really helpful.

Contributions to support Windows, Android and iOS CI testing would be very
much appreciated.

For embedded targets, like moxie, you can just copy what I did, and it
should be fine.  That would also be a useful contribution.

ABI testing would be very useful.  There are tools to help with this
(abidiff?).  Ideas on how to implement this would be very much
appreciated.  ABI stability for the 3.3 release is important.  We should be
aiming for it to be a drop-in replacement for the system libffi on most
platforms.

* Publishing test results

We rely on manual test runs where automated CI isn't available.  I've
started publishing results to keep track:
https://github.com/libffi/libffi/wiki
Additional test results to publish would be helpful.  Ideas to make this
easier to manage or more useful would be appreciated.

* Github issue triage

There are lots of tickets in github.  I've started marking them with the
'milestone' tags of 3.3 and 4.0 (ABI breaking release).   I've also started
attaching the label 'RFE' to feature requests ("Request For Enhancement" vs
bug).  Help with issue triage would be appreciated.

I don't know if any of the github related work requires elevated privileges
or libffi group membership.  Please let me know if it does.

That's it, and thanks for your help!

AG

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-03-23 14:16 UTC | newest]