public inbox for libffi-discuss@sourceware.org
* thiscall calling convention
@ 2011-11-26  7:06 Federico Omoto
From: Federico Omoto @ 2011-11-26  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

Hi,

Is there any plan to support the "thiscall" calling convention?

Thanks,
Federico Omoto

* Re: thiscall calling convention
@ 2011-11-28 10:17 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2011-11-28 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libffi-discuss

On 11/26/2011 07:06 AM, Federico Omoto wrote:

> Is there any plan to support the "thiscall" calling convention?

Don't we already?  It's just the same as the usual convention, but
passes "this" as the first arg.  Or are we talking Visual C++ ?

Andrew.

* Re: thiscall calling convention
@ 2011-11-28 10:45   ` Kai Tietz
From: Kai Tietz @ 2011-11-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: libffi-discuss

2011/11/28 Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>:
> On 11/26/2011 07:06 AM, Federico Omoto wrote:
>
>> Is there any plan to support the "thiscall" calling convention?
>
> Don't we already?  It's just the same as the usual convention, but
> passes "this" as the first arg.  Or are we talking Visual C++ ?
>
> Andrew.

The "thiscall" is a a separate calling-convention for 32-bit IA
architecture, which is using just one register for passing first
argument.  So don't mix it with "fastcall", which is actual passing 2
arguments in registers.  You are right, that this calling-convention
is normally used only for C++ class-member functions on 32-bit IA
Windows code.

Kai