Similar to the recent changes to basic_istream::ignore, this change ensures that _M_gcount doesn't overflow when extracting characters and inserting them into another streambuf. The solution used here is to use unsigned long long for the count. We assume that the number of characters extracted won't exceed the maximum value for that type, but even if it does we avoid any undefined behaviour. libstdc++-v3/ChangeLog: * include/bits/istream.tcc (basic_istream::get(__streambuf_type&, char_type): Use unsigned long long for counter and check if it would overflow _M_gcount. * testsuite/27_io/basic_istream/get/char/lwg3464.cc: New test. * testsuite/27_io/basic_istream/get/wchar_t/lwg3464.cc: New test. Tested powerpc64le-linux, i686-linux. Committed to trunk.