The current std::gcd and std::chrono::duration::_S_gcd algorithms are both recursive. This is potentially expensive to evaluate in constant expressions, because each level of recursion makes a new copy of the function to evaluate. The maximum number of steps is bounded (proportional to the number of decimal digits in the smaller value) and so unlikely to exceed the limit for constexpr nesting, but the memory usage is still suboptimal. By using an iterative algorithm we avoid that compile-time cost. Because looping in constexpr functions is not allowed until C++14, we need to keep the recursive implementation in duration::_S_gcd for C++11 mode. For std::gcd we can also optimise runtime performance by using the binary GCD algorithm. libstdc++-v3/ChangeLog: * include/std/chrono (duration::_S_gcd): Use iterative algorithm for C++14 and later. * include/std/numeric (__detail::__gcd): Replace recursive Euclidean algorithm with iterative version of binary GCD algorithm. * testsuite/26_numerics/gcd/1.cc: Test additional inputs. * testsuite/26_numerics/gcd/gcd_neg.cc: Adjust dg-error lines. * testsuite/26_numerics/lcm/lcm_neg.cc: Likewise. * testsuite/experimental/numeric/gcd.cc: Test additional inputs. * testsuite/26_numerics/gcd/2.cc: New test. Tested powerpc64le-linux. Committed to trunk.