public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
* string::find(string_view) is missing from <debug/string>
@ 2022-06-24  7:45 Frederick Virchanza Gotham
From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham @ 2022-06-24  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++

I was hoping to replace "std::string" with "__gnu_debug::string" in my
program, but when I do so, it no longer compiles.

It fails to compile because "__gnu_debug::string" is missing the
member function:

    template <class StringViewLike>
    constexpr size_type find( StringViewLike const &t, size_type pos =
0u ) const noexcept;

This member function was added in C++17. Are there any intentions to
add it to __gnu_debug?

* Re: string::find(string_view) is missing from <debug/string>
@ 2022-06-24 10:07 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-06-24 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cauldwell.thomas; +Cc: libstdc++

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 at 08:45, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Libstdc++
<libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I was hoping to replace "std::string" with "__gnu_debug::string" in my
> program, but when I do so, it no longer compiles.
>
> It fails to compile because "__gnu_debug::string" is missing the
> member function:
>
>     template <class StringViewLike>
>     constexpr size_type find( StringViewLike const &t, size_type pos =
> 0u ) const noexcept;
>
> This member function was added in C++17. Are there any intentions to
> add it to __gnu_debug?

There are probably other missing C++17 and C++20 changes too. It seems
nobody else is using that type so if you care about it, I would
encourage you to contribute to it.

* Re: string::find(string_view) is missing from <debug/string>
@ 2022-06-30  4:36   ` François Dumont
From: François Dumont @ 2022-06-30  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely, cauldwell.thomas; +Cc: libstdc++

On 24/06/22 12:07, Jonathan Wakely via Libstdc++ wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 at 08:45, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Libstdc++
> <libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> I was hoping to replace "std::string" with "__gnu_debug::string" in my
>> program, but when I do so, it no longer compiles.
>>
>> It fails to compile because "__gnu_debug::string" is missing the
>> member function:
>>
>>      template <class StringViewLike>
>>      constexpr size_type find( StringViewLike const &t, size_type pos =
>> 0u ) const noexcept;
>>
>> This member function was added in C++17. Are there any intentions to
>> add it to __gnu_debug?
> There are probably other missing C++17 and C++20 changes too. It seems
> nobody else is using that type so if you care about it, I would
> encourage you to contribute to it.

Let me know if you started something regarding this Thomas. Otherwise
I'll do it and also find a nice way to test __gnu_debug::string when
running 'make check-debug'.