public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
To: 조안나 <opehn0@gmail.com>
Cc: "libstdc++" <libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: What is the lowest version of glibc I can use to build gcc 4.8.3 and libstdc++?
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:53:45 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023, 03:53 조안나, <opehn0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Situation:
> I am attempting to migrate legacy C programs to C++11
> For use in older distributions, I static link libstdc++ through the
> -static-libstdc++ option
> C++11 is supported after version 4.8.3 of gcc, So I built it on CentOS7
> where gcc 4.8.5 installed.
>
> Result showed a dependence on glibc and was only available in
> distributions with glibc14 and later versions installed.

glibc14?

The required version felt a little high because many customers use old
> distribution.
> I came up with the idea of building libstdc++ myself using a lower version
> of glibc to reduce dependency.

Why not just build gcc on the oldest distribution you need to support? You
can use a VM or container to create the build environment.

> First I tried using glibc 2.5 for gcc 4.8.3
> Same, I built it on CentOS7 where gcc 4.8.5 and glibc 2.17 installed.
> But failed with the error below:
> configure: error: unsupported system, cannot find sizeof (omp_lock_t)

That isn't used by libstdc++, that's libgomp. If you don't need OpenMP you
can use --disable-libgomp

> I think I lowered the glibc too much, but I couldn't find a document about
> compatibility between gcc or libstdc++ and glibc.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-13.2.0/libstdc++/manual/manual/setup.html#manual.intro.setup.prereq
documents it. But that's a minimum. Libstdc++ will use newer glibc features
such as __cxa_atexit when available, and will be less standards-conforming
without it.

What is the lowest version of glibc I can use to build gcc 4.8.3 and