Another version with the major enhancement that COW string is not explicitly instantiated anymore. That's ~100ko saved in resulting lib, not too bad. Note that this patch is also smaller cause I removed the regenerated parts from it. We got time but can you confirmed that when approved I'll also have to commit the regenerated files ? François On 17/08/2023 19:22, Jonathan Wakely wrote: > On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 at 14:27, François Dumont via Libstdc++ > wrote: >> Here is the fixed patch tested in all 3 modes: >> >> - _GLIBCXX_USE_DUAL_ABI >> >> - !_GLIBCXX_USE_DUAL_ABI && !_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI >> >> - !_GLIBCXX_USE_DUAL_ABI && _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI >> >> I don't know what you have in mind for the change below but I wanted to >> let you know that I tried to put COW std::basic_string into a nested >> __cow namespace when _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI. But it had more impact on >> string-inst.cc so I preferred the macro substitution approach. > I was thinking of implementing the necessary special members functions > of __cow_string directly, so they are ABI compatible with the COW > std::basic_string but don't actually reuse the code. That would mean > we don't need to compile and instantiate the whole COW string just to > use a few members from it. But that can be done later, the macro > approach seems OK for now. > >> There are some test failing when !_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI that are >> unrelated with my changes. I'll propose fixes in coming days. > Which tests? I run the entire testsuite with > -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 several times per day and I'm not seeing > failures. > > I'll review the patch ASAP, thanks for working on it. >