public inbox for libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
From: "François Dumont" <frs.dumont@gmail.com>
To: "libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org" <libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Request for extended maintainers rights
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 21:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi

     With 4 official Maintainers but only 1 dealing with patch requests
who is moreover dealing with a lot of other tasks I fear that libstdc++
becomes really unattractive for occasional contributors.

     This is why I would like to apply for promotion to become an
official Maintainer myself not limited to special modes anymore.

     Don't worry, my plan is not to commit anything that comes to my
attention or all the patches that I proposed currently awaiting
validation. I just think that I've broken the lib ABI or the build
enough times to now know when I can commit a patch after a couple of
days of announcement or if I still need review.

     Note that there are still 2 points on which I am unclear:

- The dev stage we are in. I see that stage 1 is almost over but I don't
know if awaiting patches can be committed for instance. I count on th
announcement period to allow someone to say 'Stop'

- The legal matter: I don't know when a patch can be considered as small
enough that FSF DoR is not necessary. This is why I don't plan to commit
someone else patch without proper agreement.

If you agree let me know if I should specify something like 'newby' in
the MAINTAINERS file or just go ahead without changing anything.

François