public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-03-28 17:18 Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-03-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

the unicode character \u2102 seems to be a cap as defined in

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData-Latest.txt

as:

2102;DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL C;Lu;0;L;<font> 0043;;;;N;DOUBLE-STRUCK C;;;;

This test fails with my SUN non-com port of java.

1) has this been reported to SUN ( there seems to be some 5000 bug
reports related to unicode )
2) AND AM I IN THE CORRECT UNICODE database ?????
    ( ie what kinda excuse will I get from java that this is the way it
is and we are gonna stick to it! )
gat

* Re: Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-03-29  9:05 ` Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-03-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

From the JAVA documentaion, the unicode char 2102, is just not a capital
letter ( 1'st test - must NOT be between \u2000 - \u2fff ).
ergo  can never be a java uppercase letter!

Is there something going on with the presumption of the CharacterTest ?
gat

Uncle George wrote:

> the unicode character \u2102 seems to be a cap as defined in
>
> ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData-Latest.txt
>
> as:
>
> 2102;DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL C;Lu;0;L;<font> 0043;;;;N;DOUBLE-STRUCK C;;;;
>
> This test fails with my SUN non-com port of java.
>
> 1) has this been reported to SUN ( there seems to be some 5000 bug
> reports related to unicode )
> 2) AND AM I IN THE CORRECT UNICODE database ?????
>     ( ie what kinda excuse will I get from java that this is the way it
> is and we are gonna stick to it! )
> gat

* Re: Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-03-29 10:23   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 1999-03-29 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uncle George; +Cc: mauve-discuss

>> From the JAVA documentaion, the unicode char 2102, is just not a
>> capital letter ( 1'st test - must NOT be between \u2000 - \u2fff ).
>> ergo can never be a java uppercase letter!

>> Is there something going on with the presumption of the
>> CharacterTest ?

I don't recall -- does CharacterTest say that \u2102 is upper case or
not?

If you read the online JDK 1.2 docs, you'll notice that isLowercase
has two possible definitions.  One is `Ll'.  The other is a long
sequence of conditions.

Sun told me that `Ll' is the correct answer.  I'm not sure I believe
them.  So it's still possible that this bug could lie anywhere: in
Sun's doc, Sun's implementation, or our test.

Anyway, by analogy I'd assume their uppercase documentation is
similarly incorrect (or not).

Opinions, preferably with supporting documentation, solicited.

Tom

* Re: Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-03-30 12:13     ` Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-03-30 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey, mauve-discuss

The 1.2 specification for Character.isLowerCase() appears to have 2
specifications. Also one might also read that all the "L1" characters are
"considered to be lowercase"
1) is the "L1" in the unicode 2.0 character set.
2) The other soecification that specifically excludes the \u2000 <=>
\u2fff range.

The Character.isUpperCase() does not have any Unicode character
'category" specification at all.

It is not yet, to me, what is/isnot really true/false for any of the
Character methods. Searching......

gat

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> From the JAVA documentaion, the unicode char 2102, is just not a
> >> capital letter ( 1'st test - must NOT be between \u2000 - \u2fff ).
> >> ergo can never be a java uppercase letter!
>
> >> Is there something going on with the presumption of the
> >> CharacterTest ?
>
> I don't recall -- does CharacterTest say that \u2102 is upper case or
> not?
>
> If you read the online JDK 1.2 docs, you'll notice that isLowercase
> has two possible definitions.  One is `Ll'.  The other is a long
> sequence of conditions.
>
> Sun told me that `Ll' is the correct answer.  I'm not sure I believe
> them.  So it's still possible that this bug could lie anywhere: in
> Sun's doc, Sun's implementation, or our test.
>
> Anyway, by analogy I'd assume their uppercase documentation is
> similarly incorrect (or not).
>
> Opinions, preferably with supporting documentation, solicited.
>
> Tom

* Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-04-01  0:00 ` Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

@ 1999-04-01  0:00     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 1999-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uncle George; +Cc: mauve-discuss

@ 1999-04-01  0:00       ` Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey, mauve-discuss

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> From the JAVA documentaion, the unicode char 2102, is just not a
> >> capital letter ( 1'st test - must NOT be between \u2000 - \u2fff ).
> >> ergo can never be a java uppercase letter!
>
> >> Is there something going on with the presumption of the
> >> CharacterTest ?
>
> I don't recall -- does CharacterTest say that \u2102 is upper case or
> not?
>
> If you read the online JDK 1.2 docs, you'll notice that isLowercase
> has two possible definitions.  One is `Ll'.  The other is a long
> sequence of conditions.
>
> Sun told me that `Ll' is the correct answer.  I'm not sure I believe
> them.  So it's still possible that this bug could lie anywhere: in
> Sun's doc, Sun's implementation, or our test.
>
> Anyway, by analogy I'd assume their uppercase documentation is
> similarly incorrect (or not).
>
> Opinions, preferably with supporting documentation, solicited.
>
> Tom

* Re: Unicode character \u2102
@ 1999-04-01  0:00   ` Uncle George
From: Uncle George @ 1999-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)