public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Project status
@ 2017-02-23 18:17 Tiago Daitx
From: Tiago Daitx @ 2017-02-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

Hi,

I have been trying to follow up on Mauve and to build it, but that has
not been working really well.

First of all, the project is lacking a web presence, it seems dead
outside the CVS repo. Most of the links from the main page at
sourceware [1] are not working:

- "Download" [2] points to nightly snapshots [3] which is empty
- "CVS" [4] points to the cvsweb [5] which then redirects to a
repository listing [6] where mauve is missing
- The mailing lists archives seem to indicate some activity
(month/year links which seem to skip periods with no activity), but
clicking on the respective month/year leads to a "No messages here";
the exception here is a single message in mauve-patches for 2017 that
seems pretty much like spam

Checking out CVS repository does show that the last commits are dated
8/April/2016.

The README seems to be out of date, as some arguments for the
configure script have been removed on a previous commit
(--with-bootclasspath, --with-gcj).

Trying to run the testsuite (java Harness) brings up lots of errors
when using the autocompile.

Trying to compile the gnu/testlet testsuite before hand will also
throw out errors with both gcj as well as openjdk.

For gcj-5 (full log at [7]):
$ cd gnu/testlet
$ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -nowarn -cp ../../:. .
148 problems (148 errors)

For openjdk-8 (full log at [8]):
$ cd gnu/testlet
$ find -name '*.java' -type f | sort -u > java_files
$ javac -cp /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar:../../:. -g -source 1.5
-target 1.5 -nowarn @java_files
32 errors

Trying to run the tests after compiling also does not work that well,
lots of errors like:
FAIL: gnu.java.security.hash.TestOfHashFactory
  line 42: TestOfHashFactory [1] -- uncaught exception:
   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/java/security/hash/HashFactory

even though /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar is in the classpath and
contains the class.

It would be nice if I could get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong
and on whether the project is still being supported.

Best regards,
Tiago

[1] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/
[2] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/download.html
[3] ftp://sourceware.org/pub/mauve/snapshot/
[4] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/cvs.html
[5] http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=mauve
[6] https://sourceware.org/viewvc
[7] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054344/
[8] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054354/

--
Tiago Stürmer Daitx
Software Engineer

PGP Key: 4096R/F5B213BE (hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com)
Fingerprint = 45D0 FE5A 8109 1E91 866E  8CA4 1931 8D5E F5B2 13BE

* Re: Project status
@ 2017-02-27 19:49 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2017-02-27 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiago Daitx; +Cc: mauve-discuss, dbhole

I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.

AG

@ 2017-02-27 19:51   ` Deepak Bhole
From: Deepak Bhole @ 2017-02-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss

* Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> [2017-02-27 14:49]:

> I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
> I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
>
> AG

Thanks Anthony.

Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.

Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

Deepak

@ 2017-02-27 19:52     ` Deepak Bhole
From: Deepak Bhole @ 2017-02-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss, Jiri Vanek

* Deepak Bhole <dbhole@redhat.com> [2017-02-27 14:51]:
> * Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> [2017-02-27 14:49]:
> >
> > I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
> > I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
> >
> > AG
> >

> Thanks Anthony.
>
> Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
> am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.
>
> Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

Adding Jiri for real this time :/

@ 2017-02-28  8:11       ` Jiri Vanek
From: Jiri Vanek @ 2017-02-28  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Bhole, Anthony Green; +Cc: Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss

On 02/27/2017 08:52 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Deepak Bhole <dbhole@redhat.com> [2017-02-27 14:51]:
>> * Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> [2017-02-27 14:49]:
>>>
>>> I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
>>> I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
>>>
>>> AG
>>>

>> Thanks Anthony.
>>
>> Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
>> am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.
>>
>> Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.

J.

> Adding Jiri for real this time :/

thanx ;)

* Re: Project status
@ 2017-02-28 12:31         ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2017-02-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Vanek; +Cc: Deepak Bhole, Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss

> No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.
>
> J.

Thanks.  I'm putting a TODO on my list for updating the current status
on the mauve web site.

AG

* Re: Project status
@ 2017-02-28 13:00           ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2017-02-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: Jiri Vanek, Deepak Bhole, Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss

On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 07:31 -0500, Anthony Green wrote:
> > No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.
>
> Thanks.  I'm putting a TODO on my list for updating the current status
> on the mauve web site.

Just a note that on the icedtea server we maintain a git mirror of the
various mauve repositories:
http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/

Obviously they are only updated (once every other hour) when the main
CVS repository is updated. So for some that is 11 (!) years ago... But
it might be a useful resource for someone who wants to revive any of the
test suites.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Project status
@ 2017-02-28 13:11             ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2017-02-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Jiri Vanek, Deepak Bhole, Tiago Daitx, mauve-discuss

Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> writes:

> Just a note that on the icedtea server we maintain a git mirror of the
> various mauve repositories:
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/
>
> Obviously they are only updated (once every other hour) when the main
> CVS repository is updated. So for some that is 11 (!) years ago... But
> it might be a useful resource for someone who wants to revive any of the
> test suites.

Wow.. my first commit was 18 years ago.  Where did the time go...

AG

* Re: Project status
@ 2017-03-01  3:00     ` Andrew Hughes
From: Andrew Hughes @ 2017-03-01  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)