public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* legal question about writing mauve test cases
@ 2005-11-13  3:32 Greg Orlowski
From: Greg Orlowski @ 2005-11-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

Hi,

Is it legal to use the reflection api's w/ sun's jdks to generate
lists of method signatures and then compare them to gnu-classpath's
method signatures as a reference-point from which to develop test
cases for mauve?

Does using the reflection capabilities of java with sun's libraries
constitute reading source code (legally)?

I've been doing some of this anyway just to be able to compare
gnu-classpath & sun's implementation. If it's legal, I'd like to take
some diffs of output from running reflection methods as a reference
for some test cases.

I'd like to contribute to classpath, but I'll be using sun's tools
extensively at my job, and I'm worried that I'll be tainted by doing
so.

thanks for any information you can give me on this!

-Greg

* Re: legal question about writing mauve test cases
@ 2005-11-13 13:19 ` Dalibor Topic
From: Dalibor Topic @ 2005-11-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Orlowski; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Greg Orlowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it legal to use the reflection api's w/ sun's jdks to generate
> lists of method signatures and then compare them to gnu-classpath's
> method signatures as a reference-point from which to develop test
> cases for mauve?

I assume that you're interested in seing which classes/methods/fields
are missing/bad in GNU Classpath, in order to figure out which areas to
go after, you may be interested in looking at Japitools comparison
results at http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/

> Does using the reflection capabilities of java with sun's libraries
> constitute reading source code (legally)?

No, afaict. Otoh, if you are using or writing, say, an automated test
generator for libraries, the cleanest way to do it is to generate your
tests against GNU Classpath sourcecode, and then to run the tests
against a non-free VM, to see if the assumptions codified in GNU
Classpath also exist in the non-free VM.

On a side note, CnC from http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cnc/welcome.html might
be interesting for such a task.

> I'd like to contribute to classpath, but I'll be using sun's tools
> extensively at my job, and I'm worried that I'll be tainted by doing
> so.

Afaik, using Sun's tools does not taint you, since you don't get to see
actual implementation details by just using java/javac. Looking at the
sources or having a NDA/contract with Sun not to disclose their
implementation details otoh, would prevent you from contributing
respective souce code to GNU Classpath. In that case, there are still
other areas one can contribute to.

cheers,
dalibor topic