public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Audrius Meskauskas <audriusa@bluewin.ch>
To: Mauve discuss <mauve-discuss@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Mauve license: How with COST.OMG.ORG?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The packages for testing org.omg classes contain the source code from
the currently the most probably dead cost.omg.org CORBA open source
testing suite that was originally released under LGPL license. To
integrate into Mauve, I of course needed to modify the code (the
original test versions just prints messages to console). This means the
license conversion into GPL. If we change the license, all such tests
should probably be removed, and the Harmony project should also think
about this. Event if they get the alternative CORBA implementation from
somewhere else, it still needs a test suite to prevent degradation due
subsequent develompent.  cost.omg.org is written by several serious
companies. I would take for me another year to write such thing from
scratch, it is not much simplier than the implementation itself.

The opponents of GPL license should think if they really want to reject
this valuable resource as well.

Audrius Meskauskas